1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what size truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PRO PROPERTY CARE, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Ive been researching trucks, and I have been told 2500 series diesel 4x4.
    But will a 1500 series work as well with a 350 4x4 for the first couple years.
    Would love a big diesel but money is an issue the first cuople of years.
    What trucks do you guys use and what should i stay away from.
  2. PLOWMAN21157

PLOWMAN21157 Junior Member

Go with a 3/4 or 1 ton if possible. Also get the plow prep package (HD Alternator, Battery, Springs) you will thank yourself later!! I have a 1999 F350 Super Duty. It has 110,000 miles and still have not had to put brakes on it. The only repair has been an alternator and stater relay. I LOVE THIS TRUCK!!!
    BTW, Spend the money on Heavier truck and forego th diesal if neccassary.
  3. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Yes you can plow with a 1/2 ton, lots of people do. Just be careful not to overload it. As for which truck it's really personal preference, however if I had to get a 1/2 ton I would get a Dodge or Chev. I don't feel the Ford 1/2 tons handle the weight of a plow as well as a Dodge or Chev do.
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Like fordman says, you can plow with a 1/2 ton. I have both a 1/2 and one ton. Like anything else, there's a reason the 3/4 and one tons cost so much more. They're tougher, handle a larger plow and other equipment (ie: salter), handle a larger snow load and will last longer. But for just pushing snow, your 1/2 will do fine. Just don't put too much plow on it.

1/2 - Dodge
    one ton - Chevy
    stay away from - anything without a frame:D .
  5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

It's worth it to get into a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup unless you need a dump.A half ton would work but depends on what you need it for what it will be used for? if your doing a sander go 1 ton or if you intend to have one later that's the way to go unless you get a dump.
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

The first thing you should decide is what you are going to do with it.If your doing residential,or very small commercial lots,then a smaller 1/2 ton,with a 7 1/2 foot plow would be more suited to that application.Even a small S10 with a snoway would work well.If you going to go for the bigger stuff,then buy a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel,with a 9 ft blade,or even a v-blade.

Try to find a truck with a solid front axle.A half ton will work,but if you can get something bigger,then go for it.An older Chevy pickup or Jimmy/Blazer would be a good choice.

A diesel is not neccesary,but with the gas prices going up every day,it is much more economical.It will burn half the fuel a gasser will when plowing.It's more up front cost,but will pay off with more reliability,less maintenance,and using less fuel.You will also get the money back,as the resale value of a diesel truck is much higher than a gasser,if you ever decide to sell it.

If you buy a diesel,make sure it has enough front end capacity to carry a decent size plow.A 7 1/2 plow on a diesel is a waste of good pushing power.
  7. A.L. Inc.

A.L. Inc. Member

I know money may seem like an issue, but it is probably less expensive in the long run to buy the diesel 3/4 or 1 ton. The 1/2 ton just won't last as long. I learned this the hard way, and I won't do it again. Buy the heavier truck, you'll thank yourself later. Mike
  8. what do you think of the dodge v10 motors. wyldman i know your a dodge guy, are they a good motor.
    what about the big v8 motors.
  9. wyldman

wyldman Member

The V10 is a good motor,I haven't seen a lot of problems with them.They aren't too bad on fuel either,for a V10.Resale can be a pain,because not many people want them,so you may be able to find one at a good price.The V8's are also good motors too.Have had a few problems with water getting into the crank sensors,and causing the truck to quit.Not good when plowing.The 5.2L is much better on fuel than the 5.9L and still has plenty of power for plowing.
  10. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I'm a diesel guy the v10's are nice but gas guzzlers if you do short trips and don't put a hell of alot of miles on then i would go gas but as far as pulling and pushing i like the diesel.
  11. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I have to agree with cat. I prefer the diesel as well and would personally never buy a V10 gasser. I would consider a V8 but thats it, gas prices are just to high.
  12. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

I am not sure why they even make 3/4 ton trucks. Seems like it should either be heavy duty or not. Now the diesel thing seems like the more indecisive thing for me. It costs more and requires more maint. But I would think that you could recoup the extra cost after one year of fuel bills. Half ton trucks are for running around town, moving furniture, picking up the grocerys. Go 1 ton.
  13. wyldman

wyldman Member

Diesels require no more,and usually even less maintenance than a gasser.

They have bigger air filters,which tend to last longer.No plugs,wires,cap\rotor,dist,ign module,etc,so no need to tune up.Caps and wires can be a pain on plow trucks as they don't like salt and water.

Most engine related maintenance on a diesel is just an oil change,and fuel filter changes,usually every 3rd oil change.

You would have to do a bit of driving to recoup the cost on fuel savings alone,but over some time,fuel savings,fewer repairs,engine longetivity,and resale value,it pays off substantially.
  14. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I definitly agree with wyldman.
  15. bushwoods1

bushwoods1 Member

Go with the larger one ton if you can swing it. I know you can get away with a 1/2 ton,but in the long run you'll be happier with the extra power.
    I know people here that plow with the 1/2 tons, and during a heavy snow, regret not having the heavier duty truck. It's just less strain on the vehicle, and as others have mentioned, you need to be carefull of the weight you add to it, ie: spreader box or sander. They do have "add ons" to help beef up a 1/2 ton, but why not just get the heavier duty truck in the first place.

For my money, I would get the heviest duty I could afford. I have a 97 F-350 and have no complaints at all. I use it in my Landscape business year round, towing a tandem axel trailer durring the mowing months, and for plowing in the winter. The truck has perfromed flawlessly, and will buy another F-350
  16. sk8boss

sk8boss Junior Member
    from PA

I went through the same thing. One thing I found out with the 1500 (from Dodge anyway), is if you put a plow on a 1500 it voids the warrenty. This happened to a friend of my dad. He put a plow on, I dont remember what went wrong, but he wound up trading it in on a 2500. Definatly get the HD package. It not only helps with plowing but everything else to. I have a dodge ram 2500HD. This summer I built a wall in my backyard. I went to Home depot to get the block by the skid. A skid of garden wall block weighs around 3600LBS. My truck didnt budge at all. Everytime I went back there to get another skid the guys were on the phones goin HEY THAT DODGE IS HERE!!
    The best advice is to get the biggest truck you can get for what funds you have.

I bought my first plow truck last year-an 82 F150. It's done the job and more than paid for itself already. But man has that poor thing EARNED it's money. I take excellent care of it, but I got into salting (which came sooner than expected) and I can't haul the extra salt I would like to. I've added heavy duty front coils for the extra weight of the plow and thought about adding helpers for the rear. But a 1/2 ton is a 1/2 ton - I don't think I'll put any more money than I have to into it. I got a good deal on my truck and don't regret buying it, but my next one will DEFINITELY be at least a 3/4 ton and hopefully a 1 ton. Go for the 3/4 or 1 ton-you won't regret it at all.;)
  18. thanks for all the responses
    Definately looks like a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck.
    Diesel would be nice too.

But due too money I may have too settle on a big v8.

thanks again
  19. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

3/4 or 1 ton will do. We use both and favor fords. Especially the newer superduty's, because i prefer the solid front axle. Plus the 6200# front springs.Gas or diesel, if you have extra cash get the deisel. The gas is just fine though. My trucks have been very reliable and the are 02's. My opinion here only.... I know there are lot of ford haters out here...

20. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

"Diesels require no more,and usually even less maintenance than a gasser."

Yes, true. I guess what I meant was when something goes wrong, it is usually more expensive than a gasser. But if you keep up your maintenance on a diesel, yes it will be cheaper....