1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What size truck is best ?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Going Commercial, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Going Commercial

Going Commercial Member

What do you guys recommend for plowing? I have done landscaping & lawn care for some time and I run a 2005 Chevy 2500 HD now. I have never plowed using my own trucks. I have plowed part-time for another local guy who does residential drives using 1/2 ton pick-ups and suvs. His trucks take alot of abuse and should not be used in my opinion for the amount they are used. (2 trucks for 140 driveways) I want to plow for myself now and I will need to get another truck. I will be plowing for my commercial and residential lawncare property's. Is my 2500 HD enough truck or should I step up to a 3500 pick-up or a 1 ton dump. So far I do not have to salt and I currently have a 12000gvw dump trailer. Also what size plow for the truck you suggest. Thanks
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong with that truck. Go with the Boss v plow or Sno-way both good plows. Good to see another Buffalo boy on here!
  3. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

If you think you will have a need in the future for a dump, then go for it now. A 9.2 BOSS V should be perfect for your commercial and residential needs.
  4. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Your 3/4 ton is going to walk right into commercial plowing, sit down, through it's feet up on the coffee table, and turn on the t.v. to Sunday night football! If it's a diesel, it's gonna crack open a beer too!

No need to go buy a new truck, unless you need a 1 ton dually for your landscape biz. I will get attacked by a bunch of piranha's here, but I wouldn't go bigger than a 8.2v or a 8' straight blade with wings on that truck.
  5. Greenscape4u.co

Greenscape4u.co Senior Member

I agree with ducatirider, you have the truck just don't kill it with too much plow ! I know you guys love your Boss plows down there but Western is just as good !! cheers , GO BILLS !!
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Plow with the truck you have and go NO smaller then an 8 1/2' blade. I prefer a V to a straight blade.
  7. bakerc8

bakerc8 Senior Member

i like fisher 8.5 strat bkades but if your buying a v get a boss with a trip spring
  8. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

personally I would go with an 8' Straight with wings. Super fast in open areas and light on the truck. Go no larger than a 8.2V or 8.6 V. After that Its just a bit big (yada yada yada I have a 9.2 yup I do sometimes its not the right blade for situations)
  9. Going Commercial

Going Commercial Member

Thanks guys for the input. I am going to need a second truck if things go my way. Grandview from Lancaster can I get in touch with you by the phone # in your profile. I would like to get some advice from you since your in the area. I am located in the Boston/Colden area and all my work is in the Southtowns. No competion here between us.
  10. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I plow with a 2500hd gmc...never have had any problems with it!:waving:
  11. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I have an 8'6" fisher ez v on my 2500HD and it works well for most things. some times I wish I had a larger blade and some times I wish I had a smaller blade. There is no one blade fits all
  12. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

F-350 Regular Cab 1 Ton, 8' Plow.
  13. SnowWolff

SnowWolff Junior Member
    from NNJ

Hello, I have just listed 2 International heavy duty Cummings diesel plow trucks today on this site.
    These are professional heavy duty trucks with low documented miles and service records.
    They are a lot of truck for the money, will cost you about the same as any of the trucks you have mentioned but will far outlast any those small toy plow trucks.
    Thanks and good luck!!
  14. VBR

VBR Member

+1 for Western and the Bills!!
  15. Greenscape4u.co

Greenscape4u.co Senior Member

is this our year VBR ?? LETZ GO BUFFALO !!