1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what size truck for this job?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DaySpring Services, Nov 29, 2005.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Next year I plan on moving up from driveways to a parking lot at an apartment complex. What size truck do you think would be good for this job? Im looking at some Ram 2500's or F250's. Is that going to be too small. (if you can tell from the pic.)

apartments.jpg

2. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

You could do that just plow with the storm.

3. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Sqft?? Looks like you have 2-3 long runs. That could impose a problem in a big event.

4. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

I have complexes three times that size with open areas that I do with a 7.5 straight blade.

Ya run whatcha brung, and what ya can afford.

5. IMoLwnz.com

IMoLwnz.com Junior Member

I have a storage place that I just measured this year and its 3 acres and it did it last year with a Bronco!!! I was really impressed with how it plowed up hill and that was with a 10 -12 inch storm. I really could almost keep up with a sub that I used and he has a 350 7.3. So I think the run what ya brung is a good plan just have some back up if you get over your head and have plans to get loaders if its a HUGE event.

I have a question though... How do you BID on them?? and what do you do for the walks? I had a chance at one but turned it down. I didnt like the managers and how they were planning on subbing their snow work.

6. frostservices

frostservices Member

Don`t think you would want any more than a 3/4 ton it`s to hard to see cars in a bigger truck.
    Seth

7. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Since when is it hard to see cars in a bigger truck, I would much rather drive my international than my pick up plowing , you can see a whole lot more looking down .

8. DaySpring Services

I don’t think the long runs are over 300 feet long, drives are probably about 20-25 feet wide. It's really not as big as it looks in the areal view. I do have a regular job on the grounds there. The guy that’s plowing this year is using a F-550. He isn’t too reliable, he does show up, but it takes awhile. He has subs plow quite often. They usually show up in broncos or other suv’s. It’s kinda funny watching them try to plow. I know the contract pays pretty good.

9. paponte

paponte Senior Member

How long did it take to push 3 acres in a 12" storm with a Bronco? Just curious. ;)

10. DaySpring Services

lets put it this way.....last storm of the season last year, heavy wet snow, about 18 inches. He was there from 9am to about 3 or 4 pm.

11. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Yeah, I was thinking about 8hrs. Hope he had places to put it. Pushing complexes you want to be in and out in the middle of the night before the car situation gets out of hand. Plan on making additional visits to clear parking spots even after the event ends. It's not like an industrial building where everyone comes and leaves around the same time. :cool:

12. DaySpring Services

Actually the parking infront of the apartments is cleared out by on-site maintance with a John Deere snowblower. So I dont even have to plow any of the red boxes because there will be cars parked there whenever I plowed.

apartments.jpg

13. BayviewLawn

BayviewLawn Member

Sorry i dont have much input on how to plow the lot.But where did you get a picture like that?

14. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

i doubt this is where he got the picture, but "Google Earth" is a pretty good satallite photo program. I used it to figure out my hunting field. The clarity goes down when you zoom in a lot for small parking lots, but for large parking lots it would be great.

15. DaySpring Services

yes, that picture is from google earth. It's a great program and free to download. I did notice it is older though, by a few years. Newer roads and complexes are not on it.

16. mole

mole Senior Member

do you have helpers with you?. it looks like a lot of sidewalks. also are you going to have to salt?.

17. DaySpring Services

sidewalks would not be my responsibility. I'd only have to take care of the lot. Salt is an open contract. I would salt whenever the grounds manager wants me to.

18. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Try looking at your county tax office's web site. Ours has aerial shots of the county with property lines/parcel numbers superimposed over the pictures. Multiple years are offered to view also. It takes a little bit to get used to the system but it is too cool to play with.
    It also may have other info that may be of value,like who owns the property,how much they paid,who holds the mortgage for how much.

19. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

I used to plow an apartment complex lot very similar to this one, with an old 3/4 ton chevy. I would bet the ram will get the job done just fine. Plow with the storm and you'll be good to go. :nod:

20. IMoLwnz.com

IMoLwnz.com Junior Member

with the Bronco and the Sub I used I billed 7 hrs. and that was also going back and cleaning up and getting very clsoe to all the doors to with about a foot to foor and a half