1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What size trany cooler

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by theplowmeister, Oct 16, 2009.

1. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I just picked up a second Jeep for plowing. It has an auto trany (my last auto was 10 years ago. I hate plowing with an auto... but I wont be driving it) any way, its a 2000 TJ 6cyl with an auto tany. I know I need a trany cooler for it. "they" dont list a size for the jeep. I know too small is no good, too large is no good, so what size trany cooler?

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Im no expert b ut I dont think that a bigger than manufacturer cooler will hurt the tranny. Over heating is what helps kill a tranny. JMO. You ll know for sure when during the plowing check the heat with your hand that is coming off the tranny cooler lines if you cant hold your hand on the line you ll know that the cooler isnt over cooling the oil.

3. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

4. theplowmeister

from MA

Thanks for the info

5. Waterboss

Waterboss Member

If you're looking to put a gauge on it to monitor the temps B&M makes a decent one that comes as a kit - gauge, sender, wire, gauge pod and two fittings for tapping into the tranny hard line (but you only need to use one (the 3/8th's fitting fit the line for my 42rle) the other is too small). I picked one up from Summit Racing. 40something bucks.

6. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Install a trans temp gauge. As Waterboss said, B&M makes a nice one that comes with a block to "T" it into your line.

I went with an Autometer on my XJ, and weld-in bung, put it in last week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. theplowmeister

from MA

Looks good, where did you get it?

8. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009