1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What size tires?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NYRookie, Nov 22, 2003.

1. NYRookie

NYRookie Member

It is time to put some new sneakers on my 2500HD. They came with 245/75 R16's. I was thinking of going up to at least 265/75R16's. Would I loose traction like a compact car with wide tires or would I get better traction from covering more surface area? Any suggestions on good plowing and an all around good tire? I am currently looking at Goodyear Wranglers.

2. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

My biz partner has a 02 Silverado 1/2 ton, and he got Cooper Discoverer AT's. They are bad a$$ tires!!! They wear like a brick and provide unbelievable traction in the snow and mud. He was able to fit 285/75R16's on his truck without a lift and no rubbing. They were very good when he was plowing. The Cooper's are pretty cheap too, in comparison to Goodyear's. Personally, I think the Wranglers have horrid wear characteristics. If you would get Wrangler's, you'd have to religiously rotate them every 5000 or so miles. Trust me, I've have the AT/S's and they wore so bad. My partner's tires have about 20K on them, and they look almost new, literally almost new. Hope this helps.

3. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

Check the recent post about BF Goodrich AT's, we use 265's on our 2500hd trucks and they are fantastic. We haven't had very good luck with wear on Goodyear tires in the past.

4. Sno

Sno Senior Member

I put a new set of Goodrich ATs on every year.. I'm hoping for something with more wear this year.

I saw some Goodrich mudders a week ago, I want to price them.. Anyone tried them? Seem very agressive..

5. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

New BFG's evey year? How many miles? How many burnouts?
    I have around 50,000 on mine now and while they will bne replaced before the 1st storm they would be fine for another summer. I love them for an all year round tire, the snow traction is great and the only place they suck is in the mud.
    Stay away from the Mud TA's for plowing as they are not a good plowing tread pattern. You want smaller tread blocks with a side to side pattern and plent of siping.