1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what size storm do you prefer

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Rock Boat, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Rock Boat

Rock Boat Member

do you like the ice storms just for salting

or do you like the storms with just a few inches

or do you like the storms that dump alot of snow

and how long do you like to plow

is it when the storm is over you hit every thing once and done

or when the storm starts you are out till its all cleaned up

for me it's the storm with a few inches that i like and when the storm starts i'm out plowing till its cleanded up on a few jobs i sub for then plow my one time jobs

2. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

I like 2 or 3 inches of light fluffy snow. Enough that customers want service, but not too much work and no clearing the end of the drive- because the town plow didn't plow them in!

3. Easy

Easy Senior Member

Light fluffy. no drifting, 2-3 inches, no ice.
    Don

4. Dubliner

Dubliner Senior Member

What you guys just said, and if it is that type of storm wait til it's over(except the com accounts):)

5. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusic4 inches of dry powder snow,:nod: starting @ 10 pm and ending before 4 am:nod: with no winds developing. Nothing more , nothing less than that.payup

6. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

12 inches where everyone else is stuck in the ditch while were going by.....payup

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

3-4" snowfall ending by midnight. The guys feel it is worth while going out. The customer can see that you have been. Easy salting because you have managed to plow every thing with no snowfall after. The sidewalk guys can go once. 12-15 of those in a season would be perfect. Throw in 1 or 2 6-8" ones to seperate the full time plowers from the pocket money guys and that would be a good season.

8. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i like the storms that start either before rush hour or just after so my drivers aren't sitting in traffic..usually a pre-salt before rush hour to guarantee places will be opened...then a long slow snow all day and evening so that we get multiple passes through our places and get the walks done several times...then let the storm end about midnight so we have enough time to do final clean ups....these are the storms that make us the most money

9. grasmancolumbus

grasmancolumbus Senior Member

Nice 2- 3 inch storm done by 10 would be nice or if its gonna be a big one give it to me on a Friday

10. C.Solan

C.Solan Junior Member

i like the big storms. they keep me busy and make a ton of money!!!!!!!!!

11. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

The bigger the better...this is my bread and butter. I'd like to see a good foot to foot+half a couple of times before this season ends...I will go out and make 2 passes on these storms, fully billable:drinkup: (all resi's here)

12. Rock Boat

Rock Boat Member

i can see mostly everyone is going to the small storms but can see where the big ones give you alot of money but they can ba a pain in the a$$ but good money i dodn't mind a big one here and there but prefer the little storms

13. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

6"+ to get over the under 6" pricing on most accounts. I dislike smaller than that because I often feel like why am I even going out for this, which happens on 3-4" or less.

14. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

16" of wet and heavy that started at midnight and fell 3" an hour will take care of the "pocket money" guys. Up here, 6-8" is just a step above a dusting.

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The way they design most of the lots up here you would think we live somewhere that never gets snow. A 16" snowfall would mean instant loader work. Every place would be a disaster. Last year we had an 18" snowfall the first day of March break for the kids. Most of my Schools were closed for the week so it wasn't too bad. My other stuff we had 4 trucks doing the work of 2. I hope I don't see one of those again. Not that I got complaints, it is just a PITA.

People up here just don't know enough to stay home. There must be places way more understanding.

16. Dubliner

Dubliner Senior Member

To make easy money??

17. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

You mean kind of like last week's storm? :D

I have been moving snow all week with the JD 990. This last storm, although nasty for most, was good for me. It provided tractor work for several days that otherwise I wouldn't have worked at all.

18. hikeradk

hikeradk Senior Member

12 inches of snow more than the shovels like and every now and then some snow a snowblower does not like so the people see me in and out in 10 mins think of me for next year.

19. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yep. I was getting calls yesterday, still, asking if I could come plow cause their regular guy got stuck or didn't even try - saying their truck was too light. Like you, I've been using my tractor and FEL quite a bit this week. I even managed to get my 2500 stuck in my neighbor's driveway and had to pull it out with the tractor. I'd used the FEL on it and thought I had a good share of it scraped before I brought in the truck. Not only was there more packed-down snow than I figured, when the tires broke through the snow - they were on pure ice. Tires breaking through 6" of packed snow, with a moldboard full of wet&heavy and sitting on ice on a rutted/frozen dirt lane, meant it wasn't going any further.:realmad: Time for the tractor. I was doing this as a favor for a neighbor whose regular guy bailed (I know better - "No good deed goes unpunished").

20. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Exactly...the last 3 storms were "wishy-washy" 1-3 inchers and in my area it seems like the snow/rain line and 1-3" and 3-6" lines were smack through my area...last storm I made my complete rounds and could not drop my plow on even one account (except the freebies of course).
    I'd much rather have a decisive, 6" and up and I don't care if it's wet and heavy or light and fluffy...just give me the inches dammit! Hopefully March will be a better snow month than Feb was...:drinkup: