1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What size spreader for 1 ton SRW

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by NEUSWEDE, Dec 25, 2005.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Searching for a used v box spreader and was curious what is the best size for a 1 ton single rear wheel pick-up. I was thinking 2 yard would be perfect. I will add a leaf and probably timbrens.
    Any input or pictures would be much appreciated.
  2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

2 yards would be good, but I would add air bags to the rear, not a extra leaf spring. Timbrens on the front.

Regards Mike
  3. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

That's cutting it close to the weight limit on the tires, isn't it?

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I should be able to handle a 2 yard, there is a chevy 1500 running around town with a 2 yard SS and a blade on the front
  5. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

My Dodge is a 3/4 ton with a 1.6 yard SS and I have Timbrens. The spreader is 800 lbs. and filling the spreader has added a little over 3k lbs (but the weight varies). It's scared the crap out of me.
    The 1/6 yard is covering the Canal Plaza parking lots and the Portland Public Market loading dock. When I'm done, I have salt or sand/salt left in the hopper.
    A full hopper kills my stopping power and makes my truck wiggle like a fat lady's under arm.
    Whoever is running around with a 1500 and a 2 yard is a nut bag.
  6. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I'd go with a 1.5 yard. Heres a pic of my sander now on my drw in my srw

7. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

If he added a set of 5000 air bags under the rear, a 800# blade off the front and the weight of a spreader yes he would be over weight. Now keep in mind that during every snow storm you can drive around and see alot of trucks with the rear bumper hanging LOW. With a set of air bags he can keep the load level. I would not drive along ways with the truck loaded like this but if he has a job close to his salt supplier than it not a big deal. He will have to watch his braking distance and no high speed turns. I would also go with as light weight spreader as he can, maybe a poly.

Regards Mike