1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what size skids to buy?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by hardwoodcd, Dec 27, 2012.

1. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

So I bought a 1997 Case 1845C about 7 years ago just to have to help out with cutting wood and odd jobs. I started plowing snow 5 years ago and started utilizing the skid for some extra money. I have grown the plowing side of me business at a very slow rate but it is becoming clear that I may need to do some upgrading next season. I'm looking to add probably 2 skiddys, 1 more plow truck, and a dedicated salting rig. So I'm looking for every ones opinion on what I should start looking at. Right now I push a 10ft protech push box with the 1845. I have been looking at the Kage and comparable systems. So this is what I would need to be able to handle. So tell me what kind, size, and why I should consider. Thanks in advance, Casey

2. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Step one, find a really good dealer.

Buy the biggest SOB you can afford and haul on your trailer.

2 speed tranny is a must for snow machines.

As far as brands? It's mostly personal preference. I'm partial to Bobcat, and I can't stand running JD skiddys.

Don't go crazy with equipment unless it's going to make you money year around. Grow within your means.

3. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

Thanks for the response mnglocker. I should also mention that I'm am looking for specific models to start researching. Any equipment I buy will most likely not be doing much in the off season.

4. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

NH has some pretty good lease deals for snow guys you may want to check into.

Otherwise check out what dealers are close and treat you right first.

5. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Are you mostly doing lots with it and looking for 10 ft size?? I like bobcat model also. Check out s250 or if you want new s650 the new m-series are very very nice

6. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I am a bobcat fan and its the only machines I will buy. I really like the s-300,s-250 and s-205. I have a new s-650 and it is a good machine just like my s-300 more. For large lots I don't think you can beat the s-300. It will push the Hell out of a 10ft box, is also pretty good on fuel. For a mid size machine the 205 is a kick ass machine.. what ever you get make sure it has two speed and a heated cab.
    Good luck.
    Robert

7. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I think you're right on. S185-S300 is good range of machines to be looking at to use for snow. 2 speed for sure.

8. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

This may be petty, but so far I'm glad that everyone is saying Bobcat. All my trucks for both businesses are white!!!!! The plan is to turn the 1845C into the salt loader. I have an old International 674 loading the salt now.

9. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

The S-185 will not like pushing a 10' box. I ran one a few years back, it didn't like the 8' we had on sight.

10. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

them new bobcats are nice machines.. Check them out man

11. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Oh before you make the choice check out the new Case machines. They are absolute beasts.

12. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

Another bobcat fan here iv run s250 s300 s650 all with 10 ft boxes and they wesport have no problem with a full box. I have two 2012 650 from the guy i sub for now one has 1.2 hours and the other has 3.2 hours one with hand and foot contorls and the other has joysticks and i can tell ya the s650 with joysticks is the cats a$$ to run super smooth Thumbs Up last thing i will say is most 05to09 bobcats with joysticks will eat a set of lift tilt actuators around every 750 hours and its about an hour of your time to change an $1200 in parts if your machine has a key start an you do the job yourself. if the machine has a keypad start the dealer has to flash the computer that can be another 100-500 depending on how big of a crook the dealer is. This is not to scare you more a warning to budget for it and if it dont happen then you will be ahead of the game. either way best of luck to you:salute:payup

13. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I looked into Bobcat, Case, Deere and New Holland last year when I was buying a new machine. I liked the looks of the Bobcat but didnt like the dealer. Deere and Case were both good machines but the Deere was the most expensive by several thousand bucks. The Case and New Hollands are pretty much the same machine with a few differences. I loved the visibilty of them and they are the easiest to service by far. They are super quiet and very good on fuel. I bought a L220 New Holland. If I were to do it again today I would have went with the Case. The Case you can adjust the hydro sensitivity and loader functions. They also were the cheapest but the dealer was the farthest away. I would seriously look into these machines I think you will be really impressed. I got the pilot/eh controls and they just did an update and they are super smooth now. I have had it a year and zero issues so far.

14. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

I second that advice.

15. magnum1

magnum1 Senior Member
    from ID & ND

Stick with the Case machines, Easy serviceability, great machines. 2 speed a must,
    the heater in these units will toast your buns. Ck one out. 90 + hp will get the job done in a hurry.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  16. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Hard to go wrong with a bobcat.. The only hard part about buying a case is going home and telling your family your gay lol.

17. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

lol ..... :laughing:

18. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

Before you decide on a brand you need to figure out what you want to get for a machine. 2 speed is nice and cab /heat is a must. the next thing you need to look at is are you going to want to load trucks with this machine.. the larger vertical lift machines will have a higher dump height. and the 3rd and most important thing when you have decided on a brand. How close is you dealer? Can you getahold of him sunday morning if you break down saturday night with more snow in the forcast? Do they stock parts or order everything in? Bobcat makes a great machine. I have 2 of them. I also have 3 Caterpillars. On the service side of things my cat dealer is better then my bobcat dealer. on the cost of things bobcat is cheaper then cat.. its a trade off I would rather have my machine running and pay a little more then pay less and not have a machine that will cost more in the long run if you lose an account because of lack of/poor service. You also may want to think about renting a differnt skid each month for a year and see what you like/dislike about each. if you looking at new $40k is alot of money on a machine if you decide you hate it in 2 weeks.

19. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

back to your original question.. I would say any machine with a capacity of 2000+ lbs would be mostly ok for pushing 8+ feet and 2500lbs for 10 feet of blade

20. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

I don't get it.....around here you might have to be gay to buy a Bobcat cause they are going to stick it straight up your ass when you need any parts or service.