1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what size pusher ??????

Discussion in 'Avalanche Box Plows' started by rampking, Oct 26, 2011.

1. rampking

rampking Junior Member

Hey guys,
    its my first year in the business, I have a Cat 420DIT and want to run a pusher this year but am unsure of what size to run, 10 or 8 ft??? I will need to travel between 4 different lots, is a 10 foot pusher to large to travel with on the roads?? also i guess it might be a pain in the ass then if there are cars on the lot? Is there really that much of a difference? Whats your opinion?
  2. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Well that machine can handle a 10 footer. We put 8's on skids.... It really depends on what you will be doing to determine if you need a 10 or 8'. Either way you will need a plow truck to come in behind and clean up for you.
    Just remember normal size lanes are 12' Wide. Cars are usually 8ft wide. 2 years ago i drove a 10' Boss plow on a International CXT and just had to be careful to stay in the center since the plow stuck out a little.

i say for that machine it would be a waste to just put a 8fter on it but thats me. lol Even if i had to strap a dolly to the back and pull it from site to site i would do it! No what i would do is get some LED's For the loader, Lighted plow markers and a Slow moving vehicle triangle and just be careful when driving. How care apart are these sites??

With a 8 you can go from site to site NO problem!
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

They make expandable pushers for large machines. Of course, more $$$$.
  4. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

I've ran a loader with a 12' pusher on the streets of Toronto, it just takes some getting used to. Remember too, plan your route so that you work with traffic patterns and the flow of people. Plowing in the early hours, maybe plan it so that your largest lot is last if that is when traffic gets heavy. We used to run blades with folding wings, they did the larger lots last, so that they could then be folded in to go back to the yard.

Another option is to park the machine at the last site, then move it when traffic is lighter if necessary.
  5. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

I run a 420D and it handles a 12 like nothing and a 14 is doable but not easy, an 8 I think would be pointless and a 10 you'll regret. Its not that bad road running them, when the traffic gets bad you can just lift it up over the cars, you'll get some funny looks though.