1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What size pusher on a f350 4x4 dump?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Drottlawn, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

What size should I get for my dump to be a pusher. I have two lots that I need to move snow to the far ends. The straight blade isn't cutting it. Anyone done this before?

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I've seen pics of trucks with pushers mounted, but never heard of how well it works.....my guess would be 9 or 10ft, maybe even 12ft with LOTS of ballast.

3. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

My plan was to make two arms off of the box to pin on my truck just as my meyer plow does. That way I can switch back and forth if needed. My biggest question is what kinda of weight will a E60 pump lift. I looked at the 10' compact and the 10 skid scoopdoggs. The compact is 500 lbs and the skid is almost 1000 lbs. I would like the skid one, but don't know if my pump will lift it? Any thoughts?:confused:

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

My E60 pumps lifts my 8.5C poly meyer with wings and it is hitting just over a 1000#. I have been doing it for years. Go with the larger one if you are trying to make a decision based on weight.Hope this helps.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Keep your front blade and go with a 16 ft Ebling on the rear. Pulling snow works great for what your doing.

6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Same here but I have a CP-8 with wings. Mine is over 900lbs. Someone told me that the E-60 will lift the HM-10 too.

7. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

i agree with this guy. it makes more sence cause your not gunna get a 16ft pusher on the front. And a pull plow will help save your front end some

8. How would you work that ? Just let the front blade spill and catch it with the rear.

Some guy in Caledon with Green tractors has some for sale on Craigslist http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/bra/grd/1447198539.html :nod: :laughing:

9. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Those are sweet, but a little over my budget. What size pusher could my truck handle pushing without totally working the truck to death?

10. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

I personally wouldnt put somehting to big on the front but I really dont have much experience. However I think comman sence applies. Alot of weight just from the pusher, then add the weight of the snow your trying to stack, and you might be maxing your pump and your trucks front suspension out. You could probly find a decent used ebling for a good price

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The guys that designed Avalanche ran pushers on there trucks for a couple years and then they stopped, not sure why. It will be somewhere between an 8-10 ft blade that will work but I'm leaning more towards an 8ft. I bet an 8ft pusher will push around 40-50% more then your Wideout.

12. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like an interesting idea to me.

13. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Why dont you just put box ends on your straight blade? They attach with hinges and chains. There is a pic somewhere on this site.

The guys here in MI do that but I can't remeber what they are called. I am sure MarkO knows, just wait to see if he chimes in.

14. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Turkey Wings.

15. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Buy or MAKE some turkey wings....you will not be disappointed. I bought a set yrs ago for my old 7.5 blade and then swapped them over to the 8'6" blade on my F250. This plow on my F150 i had 1 lot that was a long run, it just stacks the snow UP...it would literally be higher than the hood, but the key is keeping momentum..you stop with this sort of load, your not restarting. I tend to plow in 4LO to keep line pressure up in the tranny to prevent cluth slippage in my auto trans, over a decade of plowing and never been down for tranny repairs..knock on wood:cool: So take that for what it's worth since you will be moving a TON of snow if you use this set up. depending on how long the run is, i honestly dont know as if i'd go bigger than a 9' blade, 8'6" is about it for a pick up....depending on how long the run is. Nice thing, they lift up and out of the brackets so you can have a normal plow again, leave the chains loose and the wings will open up a bit and increase the plow width.

They were originally designed for a full trip blade since the brackets are designed to allow the turkey wings to lift up as the plow folds forward, but hit an object hard enough and the plates shoot out of their mounts...hence the safety chains so you dont lose them:) I know yrs ago many guys were modding them and installing dead stop bolts and some even made spring loaded mounts so the wings could slide up on a blade trip, yet not fly out of the brackets they sat in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]