1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What size Pusher for a 50hp Compact Tractor

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by bobcat21, Dec 4, 2010.

1. bobcat21

bobcat21 Junior Member
    from ohio

I have a customer who has recently bought a Bobcat CT450 Tractor (50hp) and is looking at one of our Arctic Sectional snow pushers to put on it. He is interested in the LD10 which is a 10' model. This pusher weighs around 1700 pounds and will be mounted directly to the Loader. He is also putting on a Bobcat 3pt snow blower on the rear of this tractor which is around 700 pounds. The tractor and the loader will weigh around 5,800 pounds plus the blower. The tires are not currently filled but will be and im not sure what kind of weight we will be dealing with there. I personally think the 8' box is a better fit for this tractor. Even then the Sectional LD8 still weighs around 1400 pounds. Has anyone had any experience with a similar set-up? This is the first Pusher we have put on a tractor and are not too familiar with it. Thanks
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

that tractor is not big enough for that pusher, 8 foot is the max, and even then you are straining it, IMO I have a 8 foot pusher i built for our skid steer, 5000+ lb machine, it works, but it struggles sometimes, your tractor is not as heavy, and not as powerful as my skid, so i cant see this working out.
  3. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

Way too heavy

I would not go any bigger then 7.5 or 600 lbs if you can find one. (1700lbs) Thats one heck of amount of weight for a small tractor to handle.

Whats the real lifting cap. on the loader ?
    Whats the tractor weight ?

Recommend adding soft-ride to the loader valves of your going to carry anything heavy..

4. bobcat21

bobcat21 Junior Member
    from ohio

Loader lift capacity is 2700 pounds. Tractor will weigh around 6500 pounds plus the weight of the tires once they get filled.
  5. buckwheat_la

is that recommended lift, or tipping capacity?
  6. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

I'd go smaller, don't forget to realize 10' wide path of snow gets heavy real quick if plowing a parking lot etc.
  7. bobcat21

bobcat21 Junior Member
    from ohio

Rated lift capacity (at bucket hinge pins) to Max height. Rated lift capacity at 20 inches in front of the bucket hinge pins is 2050 pounds.
  8. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

I would talk the customer into a blizzard or wide out mounted to the frame. I have heard bad stories of loader arms twisting from pusher boxes. There is a reason that you don't see many of them out there.
  9. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I had a Kubota 5030 and now a 5740 so it would be comparable tractor. I had a 6 ft pusher but it was 36 inches high and 36 inches deep so it was a bit bigger than the average compact pusher. I think I could have put a slightly larger pusher but I would not go over 8 ft and that's for sure. My tires were loaded and I had a 1000 lbs blower on the back and never had a problem with traction. I agree with the others that the 8 ft would be the max and perhaps 7 ft pusher would be safer.
  10. 518Landscapes

518Landscapes Member

Way to big if it is that heavy. will it lift the pusher or the pusher with snow. 2700 lbs seems like a lot for a 50 hp tractor imo. I have a JD 4120 43hp tractor. The lift capacity is 1250lbs around there. I have a 10 ft protec pusher that is actually for a large skidde it ways about 925 give or take, and it is a little bit to big. im afraid it is going to damage my loader over time. if i keep up with the snow every 2 inches it works pretty good any more or a long push and you run out of traction. Even with weight i have turf tires loaded with calcium. there is a pic of it in my album
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  11. 518Landscapes

518Landscapes Member

specs from bobcats web site copy n past

Emissions Tier (EPA) Interim Tier 4
    Gross HP 49 HP
    Number of Cylinders 4
    Operating Weight 3935 lbs
    Travel Speed 16.5 mph
    Travel Speed - Reverse 11.2 mph
    3-Point Hitch Category 1
    Lift Capacity at 24" behind Lift Point 1870 lbs
    Rear PTO System Independent
    Rear PTO - RPM 540
    PTO HP 38 HP
    Mid PTO - RPM 2000
    Fuel Tank 11.9 gal
    Length 134.3 in
    Width 69 in
    Height 95.5 in
    Ground Clearance 14 in
    Turning Radius 132 in
    Wheelbase 73.8 in
  12. ManAtArms

ManAtArms Junior Member

Newbie Here...

Buckwheat, it's my experience that tractors are not usually rated with tipping capacity, like a SS or CTL is....they're usually rated for x amount of weight at the pins or at midpoint of the bucket...that is usually their absolute lifting capacity. Pound for pound, skids can usually (but not always) lift more than a tractor, but are more "tippy" if you ask me. I guess another way of putting it...most skids have the power to lift enough to tip themselves...alot of tractors can't...they just won't lift it.

13. buckwheat_la

Either way, I was concerned with the numbers he was throwing around, 2000 lbs is a lot on a light machine like that
  14. bobcat21

bobcat21 Junior Member
    from ohio