1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What size plows??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by motorider000, Apr 6, 2005.

1. motorider000

motorider000 Senior Member

Hey guys i am looking to buy two plows for my 3/4 tons. I think i am going to go with the western pro series. I am debating between a 7 1/2 foot or 8 foot blade. I was thinking that i would go with the 7 1/2 because that is the standard for billing in this area. I don;t feel that i could pull off charging more for the 8 footer. I figure that the 7 1/2 would be less damage to the truck. Am i on the right track????????

2. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

If the truck is a regular cab/long bed then a 7 1/2 ft would work. An 8ft is what alot of people are putting on their 3/4tons. You could always go with the 71/2ft and add a set of pro wings or turkey wings.

William

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

As for pricing - What is standard practice in your area? Most times, you'll price "per push". An 8' would simply be more efficient than a 7 1/2'. You'd get the same money for anything you plow, it would just take less time. If you bid "per hour", usually there are built-in prices for different size and types of equipment.

My advice - Go with the 8' for a 3/4 ton. There are other reasons, but pricing shouldn't stop you.

4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'd go with the 8' or even longer. Full size trucks are wide. 8' isn't that much bigger than a 7.5' but it is enough to make a noticeable difference.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Go with the 8ft or 8 1/2ft for your 3/4 ton. you'll be glad you did.
    I know there is only a 1/2ft difference but it makes all the difference.
    Now, how about an V-plow?

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Agreed- go 8'. At full angle 7.5 will not clear your wheels. Besides- look back at the postings several people here have had serious problems with those over priced wings folding on them.

7. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 Senior Member

No less than an 8 footer. Personally, i'd go with an 8.5, and add timbrens to the front of the truck.

I plow per push. :nod:

8. 2004Z71CC

2004Z71CC Member

I agree with lawnandplow, go at least 8' and if your accounts are large enough (no very tight places) go 8.5'. You'll be happy you did. payup

9. 02F250PSD

02F250PSD Junior Member

I would go with a 8 foot or 8 1/2 footer.

10. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

How about 810 payup
    T

11. motorider000

motorider000 Senior Member

It seems that everyone here charges by the hour. I think i will go with o footer to clear the wheels. No i don't want a v plow because of the extra $$$, weight, and some of my buddies say that the hydros are too slow.

12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Like we always say here : Go with a place that has service and parts near you.
    If you have to take a road trip to get a $20 part that you need, it will get old quickly when the snows coming down hard!
    A 7.5- 8 - or 8.5 will work great.
    I never had wings on mine cause I sub-contract, why cut my pay?

13. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

What size plow

Good advice from Mick! QUICK (as in quick to get you in) and GOOD service are tops along with a locally available big parts inventory! Nothing worse than waiting a week to get in for service or waiting for parts to be UPS'ed in when the whole region is in the middle of a blizzard!

Some may disagree but size DOES matter - you need to determine what you are going to be doing. If you plan on doing driveways and residential you might have to stick with something "narrow" like a 7 1/2 footer. Those 3 or 6 inches on each side might make the difference for smaller stuff if that's what your bread and butter is. If you can do it, an 8 footer should be good..

Kind of like buying that 52 inch walk behind and realizing that all the fence gates on your accounts are 36 inches...

It's kind of funny that 30 years or so ago most people used jeeps with 6 1/2 footers for small lots and pickups with 7 1/2 footers on them for the "big" jobs...

14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

The defination of "truck" hasn't changed but the constructions of some of those so called trucks has. I would never trust a new jeep with a blade. My father used to plow a Scout with a cut down Frink highway blade back in the early 70's. The trucks of those days often handled alot more abuse than those of today.
    Many of us plow by the hour, many plow seasonally, I personally plow per push.

It doesn't make sense to me to put a blade on a truck, any truck, that is too small to plow your own wheels. I fight with that every storm that my chevy is used- it's only got an 8 which doesn't clear the outside duals. Good bank in the blade and it's tough going.

15. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Minimum 8', It will handle 90% of all the drives you do too. Your tire sidewalls will thankyou if you do any parking lots. If you specialize in small stuff then get a Jeep with a 6'6".
    Todd

16. NEHawaiian

NEHawaiian Member
    from CT

I just think you will be wasting your money for a 71/2 ft. I would spend the money for the 8. Personally I would choose fisher over Western despite they are the same company. I prefer having a trip edge vs a full mold board trip. To me the trip edge allows you to complete a job faster than a full mold board because if you have to re plow that area that caused your mold board to trip. The only thing I like about Western now is the back cutting edge for the pro series that they added. :dizzy: