1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What size plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tim1075, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

What size plow would you guys put on a 1992 F-350, 351, Auto, 93k miles?

2. G.Williams

G.Williams Member

We have almost the identical truck, and we are using a 8' meyers.
    No problems and works comfortably.

3. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I would put a 8'2" Boss V or the 8.5' Western V on it myself. You may even find that they will put the 9'2" Boss on that truck, in which case I probably would.

4. captjack

captjack Member

what are you going to plow?
    I have a f350 crew cab, i cant plow small lots. i cant turn the truck
    around. i went with a 8 ft western. (great plow) i wish i would have gotten a 9 ft, so im ordering a set of pro wings.
    if your not doing drives, or small lots, i would say go big!
    regards,
    jack

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

At least 8.5' staright or v. If going new, spend the little extra amd get the v.
    Dino

6. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

You guys will have to understand that i'm just a kid, just going on 17 so the budget is a little tight. I'm planning on selling my first truck that I bought to get a little money for the plow. I was leaning towards a 9ft western straight, can anybody give me some ideas on prices.

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Tim,the western 9 ft straight is a good choice,especially since its light,and strong,and reliable,at 750 lbs,it wont kill yout front end to bad.If you had the F350,id tell you to get the biggest V theyll put on it,but your front end isnt nearly as strong.If your going used,the western 8-9 ft should be easy to find,its a popular plow.

8. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

It is an F-350 and i would like to go with a new 9 fter

9. plowking35

from SE CT

Hey Johnny D, I know of a used 9' western. Think they guy will deal?? LOL
    Dino

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

LOL Dino,I wouldnt count on it.

11. captjack

captjack Member

12. TheBeast

TheBeast Junior Member

like tim1075, i am turning 18, what would be a nice set-up for my 1997 F-350 XLT, Crew Cab, SRW. I am leaning towards the V plow, but i am not sure. What company makes the best V plow, whats the biggest size, and what do they run.

thanks
    TheBeast

13. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

TheBeast where in Jersey?

14. plowking35

from SE CT

I have yet to see a plow run, they all seem to need a truck to push them along.
    Do a search, you will find that you are limited to what plow you can install on a crew cab.
    BTW, since when can such young kids afford such nice trucks?
    My first truck was 20 yrs old and a beater. Took me till I was 29 till I got my first new truck.
    Dino

15. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

I work hard not a penny of my 3 trucks have come from my parents.

16. TheBeast

TheBeast Junior Member

i got my truck out of luck, otherwise i pay for everything for it my parents don't pay for anything. plus i have been workin since i was like 14.

17. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I don't know what type of plowing your both planning on (residential, commercial) but if you can afford a v, go for it! If not then any plow that has the best dealer support in your area.

18. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

Same here, those of you that think my parents bought my truck are wrong. i've been working since 8 and i split the money between my truck fund , college fund and the little that went in my pocket. All the money for gas, the truck, insurance I pay for, i'm not like the rest of the school where their parents give them credit cards, i know because i end up filling up a lot of their cars at work.

get a 9' western,fisher,diamond whatever you can find used for a good price. i think someone here knew of a 9' western uni-mount that came off a dodge flatbed for a good price.

bryan

19. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

Can anybody give me some ballpark figures on what a new 9ft plow is going to cost?

20. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Real rough cost. But most 9' plows are going to be around 3500 + or - 500 bucks.

Geoff