1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What size plow???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by big blue 2500, Feb 13, 2004.

1. big blue 2500

big blue 2500 Junior Member

Have been plowing with '86 Ramcharger since '88, great plow truck. Never had any problems with Meyer plow that I installed. I bought a 2002 2500 Ram pickup, regular cab, long bed with Snow Plow prep and was going to put on a Meyer C-7.5 but was advised by a dealer that I should use an ST-7.5 instead. He said that the C-7.5 was too heavy even though I have the Snow Plow prep package and tow package. Is he just trying to get rid of his stock or is there some truth to this?
    Posted to Dodge forum also.

Comments please.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2004
  2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

A 3/4 ton can take a regular duty blade approx. 750 lbs. If you have coil suspension in front you may want to upgrade them. Use the same weight of the plow for ballast in your bed behind wheels.

3. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

Friend of mine has a blizzard 8610 on his 03' RAM 2500 and has no problems with it. If you have a 3/4 ton you can pretty much put anything on it you want. My chevy 2500 has a western 8.5 MVP with pro wings on it and the front end holds it fine.

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

sorry with the OT but how do you like your pro wings on your V?

5. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

The wings are OK. The rubber parts really get chewed up on the curbs though.

6. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

Don't let the dealer push a ST plow on you. If your vehicle has the snow plow prep package then go with the commercial "C" plow. The vehicle was made for that plow. The ST plow is only for personal use.

7. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

cnyscapes:

Glad to hear your friend has a Blizzard 810 on his 3/4 Dodge. I have not installed one on a Dodge so I was not sure of it. Didn't want to state anything heavier if I was not sure. Thanks for the feed back.

Dave.

8. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Seem to do that even with straights.....ever think of urathane and some plate to keep from pulling the bolts through? 10'6" sounds tasty.....wider is better:nod: Wonder if the extra width would be a problem with leverage and tweaking things? This is staying wonderfully on topic.... :eek:

9. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

St or C

Talk to meyer here on site. I would go for the c 7.5 Heavier plow. Dealer just wanting to unload stock...Chuck

10. Letissnow

Letissnow Junior Member

The other thing about buying a st plow verses the c plow, is if you bring it back for warrranty work and they know your not using the plow for commercial use, they want cover the repair cost. Just my .02

11. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

What size plow - 2500 Dodge...

I'd ask your dealer where it says what the max weight for the plow is for your truck. I dunno if it is still the same but in 1996 when I bought my 2500hd gasser with plow prep, somewhere in the owner's manual or brochure it said something absurd like a 600 pound limit for a plow with the plow prep package. It was definitely written in stone somewhere.

I put a Western 8 foot pro on it anyway but you might have a warranty issue if you exceed that written specification. Seems absurdly low but it's just another thing to keep in mind since dealers never like to put out for warranty work.

Nevertheless, lots of people run 8 foot heavy duty plows on the older Dodges without too much problems and only occasional failures of the sealed wheel bearings or the axle u-joints... you might search here for dodge and/or Dana 60 axle problems....

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  12. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I have the 8 foot Boss heavy-duty straight blade on my 2500 and it holds it really well.

My thinking is put the biggest blade your truck can hold well, depending of course on the type and amount of plowing you do. Your circumstances may be such that a 7.5 is the best because you do all or mostly residentials with alot of tight spots. I have a few tights spots myself, but I've been fine with the 8 footer. Weight wise the 8 footer I have does exceed Dodge's recommendations by a bit. In fact, I have the "sport" package and Dodge doesn't recommend a plow be installed on it at all. God only knows why because the truck handles it like nothing.

I suppose all engineers are conservative on paper because they know someone always will push the limits. Get the blade you want/need, 7.5 or 8 and like Bolts said put an amount of ballast equal to the weight of the plow in the bed behind the rear wheels and you'll be just fine.