1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What size plow would work best

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by joedafs, Nov 16, 2009.

1. joedafs

joedafs Member
    from Toronto

I just bought a 2000 chev 2500 silverado(not HD) extended cab long box with a 6.0 ltr. The westen site shows the largest plow to put would be a 7.5 ft. I find that small for a 2500. Has anyone put a larger plow with no problems? What is the largest and make of plow you guys recommend?

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

8.5 footer...as far as brand, whatever is closest with a good dealer (assuming your buying new)

3. joedafs

joedafs Member
    from Toronto

What do you guys think of arctic plows? They seem to be the lightest for the size of plow. I would like to try to find a used plow of any good make, but wondering if it would be a good idea going larger than what western recommends. I plow mostly factories and strip malls.

4. mcwlandscaping

If that's what your plowing, you could probably throw a 9 footer on there with some timbrens and cranks on the tbars, I don't know about arctic plows whatsoever, but don't get anything cheap...you'll pay in the long run

5. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

I am running a short box version of your truck... yr 2000 non HD 2500 silverado... I am running an 8.5' Fisher extremeV on it. it is plenty heavy for the truck, but it plows well... I am running timbrens, as well as I have cranked the torsion bars... My biggest problem is I think my driver's side torsion bar is weak... The driver's side bar is cranked up fully and the passenger's side is not near fully cranked, when carrying the plow it feels like the drivers side is sitting on the timbren, while the passenger's side seems to still have some suspension left before hitting the timbren.... I am looking at swapping bars to try and remedy it...

Matthew

P.S. I normally run probably 5-600 lbs of ballast (bags of sand/salt mix)

6. joedafs

joedafs Member
    from Toronto

did you have any problems with the truck having the fisher set up? the fisher plows are heavy plows. This would be my fordt year running this truck if I can decide on a plow for it.

7. joedafs

joedafs Member
    from Toronto

did you have any problems with the truck having the fisher set up? the fisher plows are heavy plows. This would be my first year running this truck if I can decide on a plow for it.

8. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

I love the 8.5 xtremeV, Last winter was my first with it, and it was great, but like I said, I think my driver's side torsion bar has gone weak.... I definately recommend timbrens for that truck, and some ballast with whatever plow you choose....

9. Michigansnowkin

Michigansnowkin Member

I have an 08 Gmc 2500 wt, I run a 8 2 Boss poly v plow.Whoever told you a 7.6 is all u can put on was a liar. Westerns has what a 8.5? I'm 99.9 % sure you can put that on. If you are gonna go western use the 8.5 , boss 8.2 or any other brand around same size. They are all great for both commercial and residential. Good luck.go for Boss, all day long, you wont be sorry!

10. joedafs

joedafs Member
    from Toronto

the western web site if you use quick match it will tell me that I can only put a 7.6 plow on it, but I find that to be small, that is why I am asking anyone here what they think through there experience.

11. mcwlandscaping

That's only because of the "legality" behind it based on the fawr which tends to be low from the GM factory...but what it can actually handle is a completely different issue!

12. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Don't worry about the pansy match. They have to recommend only what keeps the front end weighing less than the door sticker's max front axle weight rating. Thanks to an army of lawyers waiting to pounce, they don't dare consider the extra capability you get from Timbrens and cranking up the torsion bars. There are lots of people with similar trucks to yours running much bigger plows and they all work just fine. Considering your plowing requirement, I strongly suggest either a Boss 8.2 V plow or a 8.0 Super Duty straight plow plus wings. The wings will pay for themselves quickly if you have to carry the snow long distances to stack it. If you just windrow, a straight blade is all you need.

13. joedafs

joedafs Member
    from Toronto

Thanks for the input. I am leaning more to at least an 8.6 or possibly a 9 foot. I want to get back home as early as possible after a storm. But I don't want to break down, thats why I am asking for everyones opinion.

14. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

the 8.0 straight blade plus wings gives you about 9.5', plus the scoop effect that keeps it from spilling over then ends when stacking. It's a much faster way to get it done than a 9.0 plow without wings, and probably faster than a V depending on how you run it.

15. joedafs

joedafs Member
    from Toronto

Thanks aeronutt, sounds like an idea, I will look int that when the time comes. How do you wings attach?