1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What size plow is right?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by firefighter1406, Dec 19, 2008.

1. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

I have a 99 f-250 with the 7.3 diesel. How wide of a blade is the best for our trucks?

2. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

9 foot straight blade

3. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

8 1/2 foot strait or V with wings would be my choice. You can hang about anything on your PSD.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

8 1/2' foot at least. I prefer a V.

5. Can-Boy

Can-Boy Member

Ihave 9-2 Boss V blades on 3 of my f250,s no problem!

6. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

7 1/2 ft. Meyers. Can't go wrong, won't stress the truck. Just remember, bigger isn't always better.

7. sparksrides

sparksrides Senior Member

i push a 9 foot fisher no problem

8. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

9 foot at least, and i would go with a V or an extendable plow if you can.

9. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

I agree with most of the comments. I happen to run a 8.5 Extreme V on the front of my F-350. In all actuality the truck handles it great, pushes it great etc.

But due to the fact the OPs truck is a 7.3 diesel (mine is as well), that adds a lost more weight on to the front axle and uses up some of the axle weight rating.

If you take a look at fishers Ematch system, the 8.5 V is not even an option for that truck. But switch the same truck to a Gas motor and all the plows they offer are available, because now you have much more weight available on the front axle.

By the front axle not being able to handle it, I'm not talking about springs shocks, ball joints (although those wear out in short order on any Superduty), I'm talking about just the axle itself.

Long story short can you put heave 8 foot, 8.5V, 9ft on the front? yeah sure you can and people do it all the time just fine. But fisher (I can't speaked for other manufactures because I haven't looked up the info) doesn't recommend it.

I bought my ExtremeV before looking into it, would I have bought one knowing this? Probably, so I guess I'm a little bit of a hypocrite. This is just some food for thought.

10. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

i would not go any smaller than a 8 footer

11. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

i run a 8.6 pro plus on my 250 5.4
    works like a charm!