1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What size plow for my S-10

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mowerpan, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Alrite well i have a 4x4 S-10 4 door Blazer with the vortec 4.3
    I want a plow and my dad's friend has one with a old style(goes on before bumper) mount from a fullsize chevy for 20 bucks. Electric over hydraulic pump cable operated, works good only problem is cable sometimes sticks. The plow is off course rusty but all surface rust, still solid and hole free. I can modify the mount to fit my s-10 that's no problem, as far as the plow size it's a 7.5 foot one and feel it's too big for my blazer but it's a deal and I'm gonna buy it friday and pick it up, and remove as must rust as possible and paint it(maybe por 15 it too). As far as the plow lenght I'm gonna shorten it by cutting off each side and using the curved angle iron reinforcements for the blade and move them in.
    What size do you think I should shorten the plow too. This plow will be used for some residential driveways and maye in the future some LIGHT commercial. I was thinking 6.5 feet would be good? The part of the plow with the angle cylinders was under snow so I don't know if it angles or no but I assume it does. Would 6.5 be enough to clear my blazer on angle, although either way it's not a big deal.

2. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

bumpety bump

3. davink

davink Member

Actually,

I think it is a big deal. You never want to plow with a plow that is more narrow than the truck. I would measure you truck across the front from the outside of each front wheel, that is the narrowist you want the plow blade to be when it is at full angle.

If you make it more narrow than the truck, you are just begging to get stuck, this also puts much more wear on your truck, as you are pushing snow, and trying to drive through it at the same time.

you can very easil check the reccomeded plow for your truck on the plow selectors at most of the manufacturer websites. This will also give you the measurements that you need to know how much to shorten it.

Good luck with it!!

4. smiti105

smiti105 Member

I was in the same situation with my CJ7. Do as Davink said and measure to width of the truck. Make sure that the plow is wide enough to cover the width of the tires. I had an old ST-90 that was seven and a half and chopped it down to six and a half and welded the corner reinforcements back on. Worked out fine for me. Have fun with the torch.

5. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Alrite Ya but how do i calculate so the plow with it angled to see if it'll be wider then my tracks. No torch here, milwaukee angle grinder with cutoff wheels lol works good, looks cleaner too

6. ohnomrbill

ohnomrbill Junior Member

I have a '92 S-10 (Ext-Cab) and have had a Meyers 6.5 ft plow on it for 9 years and it worked fine, although my new truck is a 2000 S-10 and has the Homesteader 7'-4" on it and I feel I'm able to get to the sides of the drive easier without risking going off the edge (I'm on a bit of an incline and it dropos off a bit into my neighbors side yard, something I don't want to do!)
    If you have any sharp corners to your drive, I'd recommend leaving it a bit wider as your rear wheels will cut across shorter than the plowed area if it's cut too much. Good Luck, the $price seems right.

7. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

I had a 1988 GMC S15 pickup with a 6.5' Fisher Speedcast. I found it worked great for plowing tight spots. I would how ever advise you not to do any commerical plowing with it for the reason your truck might not be able to handle the rigors of plowing. I blew a transmission in my S15 when I was doing just 10 driveways in my neighbor hood. Just my professional thoughts

8. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

If i decided to even get like 10 residential jobs, I would not have the blazer be my daily drive, I would have a backup, proboly a bronco II just because there cheap or get alittle 4 banger car. My dad was also thinkin about gettin a plow for his mildly lifted f-150 next winter to make some money.

9. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Mowerpan

Use the 7.5 plow as it is. A 7' plow is only about 50 lbs lighter. You will have plenty of power, just add some weight in the back.

Gene

10. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

cut it down to 7'.

11. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

7? alrite ya i know it's ONLY 50 lbs but on this poor blazer 50 pounds is 50 pounds. I'm not worried about power it's got enough of that. It's the suspension I worry about.

12. c.t. lawn care

c.t. lawn care Senior Member

i have a 7.5' snoway on my 93' Sonoma and it does fine. i clear a 1.5 acre church lot and have on a couple occasions plowed some of my buddies routs that had a lot of 1-2 acre lots and it does fine. This was all with a 10" snow too. Dont let them tell you that it wont do good because its little! i Have plowed the crap out of my truck and it is still a daily driver and does just fine! Keep the 7.5' and get some timbrens if you are worried about squatting on the front end. Good luck