1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what size plow for 89 F150?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by schrunchy, Jul 1, 2008.

1. schrunchy

schrunchy Junior Member
    from NH

we need a used plow...need to know size that's suitable and is it difficult to mount if it came off a chevy, dodge etc...

2. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

The plows work across any vehicle. It's the mount carton that will be a PITA. If you have a welder and a torch you can cut and change the mounts to work for your frame.

Plow size I would go with a 7.5 on a half ton.
  3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

go with a 7.5 snoway....
  4. schrunchy

schrunchy Junior Member
    from NH

thanks very much for the replies...why a snoway? we don't see many of that brand around here I don't think...most of the used ads I've seen are fisher, meyer, boss and diamond...

this is the one we are looking at

"I have a 7.5 foot Fisher Speedcast setup for a 1/2 ton GM truck. Complete from blade, to controls, pump, valves, lights, you name it. Good shape. $450"

85F150...any specific mounting suggestions would be appreciated...I do have a welder...
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Might try calling junk yards and see if they have any retired plow trucks on the lot. They can torch off the mount for you. You buy grade 8 bolts in the right size and bolt it on. The older style plows have the same spread on the plow's mounting points on the truck side mount. You may have to piece together the setup. The plow here, the pump there, new lights. There are places around that will install the whole setup. It will be used but it's cheaper then new.
  6. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Sno-Way has the patented "Downpressure" system. The old style plows will transfer 250lbs of downpressure to the cutting edge which is great for getting at hard packed snow & ice. The new "Revolution" plows will get you 400lbs of downpressure. If you end up going with a new plow, go with a Sno-Way with downpressure. A 7.5' will work great.