1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What size plow can I put on this truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 1BadHawk, Nov 14, 2004.

1. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk Member

Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Got this message:We're sorry; this car is no longer listed for sale. This is either because the car has been sold, or because the seller removed it.

But, in general you will want:

7'6" plow for a 1/2 ton
    8' or 8'6" for a 3/4 ton
    9' for a one ton

3. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk Member

Links Fixed.

Thanks for the input. Right now Im looking to get moderately priced. good shape Ram1500 Mid to late 90's. I just personaly Like that body style.

How sound are their motors and transmissions?

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Really, that's pretty high mileage to start plowing with. Some guys have had problems with Dodge transmissions. But I ran a '90 Dodge for three years with an auto transmission. Just made sure I was completely stopped every time I shifted from R to D or vice versa. Also, I was pretty careful not to overheat the engine or transmission. Now, it's got just over 100k on it and it's been relegated to back up truck. The last two years, I've put $1500 a year into repairs (front end, steering, fuel lines, 4wd components, etc.) until I just "called it" and started using the one ton as primary truck last winter.

Just as a guide, whenever I go to look for a used truck to plow with, I plan on at least a $10,000 truck.

5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

7.5' Fisher, Myer, etc.
    If you get a snoway you could go up to the 8' because it is lighter.

6. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk Member

Im defininately considering the Dodge 1500 series as a first time truck. I'd like of course to find one with low mileage but you never know. I wont be doing large work loads, ie:large commercial projects, just some here and there jobs, drive ways (which really Ill probably just use the snow blower), unless their long driveways. Next year I hope to start getting into some more serious commercial work. And if all goes well, I can upgrade the truck, porbably, keep the 1500 as a light duty truck and pickup a used state body or something for more heavy duty work.

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

7.5 of any of the brands

8. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I would get the black ram 1500 ext cab, because of the lower milage. I agree with you, they are really nice looking trucks. Dodge trannys are more problematic then others, but just make sure you have an auxillary transmission cooler. The truck should do fine otherwise. As far as plow, fisher RD 7'6" would be perfect. Don't let anyone tell you it can't plow because its a 1500, some plow dealers *may* give you a problem.
    Good Luck :waving: