1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What size lot do you bring in 2 trucks for?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by andersman02, Mar 18, 2013.

1. andersman02

andersman02 Senior Member

I was jogging this question. When do you call in another truck or have two cleaning up the same lot? I figure alot has to do with timing of the storm and amount of snow. For the sake of discussion what size lot of amount of time for 1 truck do you start using multiple trucks?

I was cleaning up an acre lot, big huge square with lots of trailers and RVs park and it took me little over an hour. Thought this would probably be the largest with 1 truck.
  2. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

are you talking about bringing in an extra truck, or trucks that are working anyway jsut both on the same route together?

if its bringing in extra trucks that would depend on many factors, but basically how many trucks do you need to get done in time.
  3. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I hate looking at the same place for more than a hour so we really try to spend less than a hour in a lot (not the really big lots but medium size ones).

If two trucks can work effectively without having to wait on each other and routes work out, we'll put two trucks in a lot just to bang it out quicker.

I think that during heavy snowfalls or a lot of snow on the ground, some drivers tend to get overwhelmed and loose sight of the main plan. By breaking the lots down into smaller sections, it may help to keep people focused on the task at hand, bang it out and get on to the next one.
  4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

The big question is as birdseed stated. If your talking bringing another truck, then I have a 1hour rule in effect. However if you are talking 2 trucks with overlapping routes, then I have a couple lots that sit right on the edge of either route, so usually both trucks hit it around the same time. One of the lots is about 1/2 an acre, but it is spread out enough that the 2 can both be there and barley even see each other let alone be in the way of each other. The other lot is divided in half, and there is a front, and back, so both trucks will be there at the same time, and never even see each other. 1 does the front, and 1 does the back. It's very efficient.
    So to answer your question, it all depends on the layout of the lots. It also depends on if you own the second truck, or if your buying a second truck to put there.
  5. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

In my 13 years plowing both as an employee and as an owner it is very rare that we didnt have 2 or more trucks on the same lot.... We always ran 2 truck teams with a shovel monkey in 1 truck with the blowers etc and the other truck with the salter. As one guy is touching up the corners/finishing the walks etc. the other guy goes to the next lot and starts. About the only times we split was for a resi that was just off the route or a tiny push only (no walks) account.
  6. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

4-6 trucks plus 3 loaders every storm till its done and 2 off road dumbs and 1 excavator and a truck or two for the big snow. Even small stroms its atleast 5 hours. This is all one large lot!
  7. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

For us it all depends on timing. I have a set of factories that total about 5 acres. I plow those from about 1:00-4:00am while another truck does his couple factories down the road. We happen to cross paths around 5:00 at a 1.5 acre building so we knock it out. After that we go our separate ways until the last building. Whoever gets there first starts and the next guy helps finish when he shows up. There are 2 more trucks that go out and I never see them all night. So for us it just depends on how the route works out and what time they have to be serviced by.
  8. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I've never really understood the concept of more than 1 truck on a medium\small lot. The way we work, we would be getting in the way of each other and be less efficient.

Depends on the layout as well, though.

I did a 5+ acre lot earlier this season in 2 1/2 hours, 1 truck. Plowed and salted.

We really don't double up trucks. Loaders and setup vehicle, yes. Trucks, no.
  9. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I would agree with this ^ statement. I do know guys that run their whole route tandem. I don't see the point in it. The property that we do usually double up on though does save maybe 15 minutes though. 1:15min solo, :30 min tandem. Just the way the lot is cut up you can concentrate on each end and one guy can locate the snow while one guy feeds it to the aisles (all gets moved to a spot on the end.) It happens to work on this lot but by no means would I say it saves a ton of time.
  10. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

I only have 1 or 2 places where I will consider having 2 trucks mostly the only time we have 2 trucks on them is when we happen to be close by will just help each other bang them out or if we are pushed to get the places open for time reasons. But I'm sure guys with larger accounts use multiple trucks all the time, or properties needing more than a few trucks just skip the trucks and get a desinated site loader or skid. My accounts are mixed with resedential and small lots and private roads and only a couple large sites. So our trucks rarely run together because of too much ground to cover.
  11. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

That 15,20,30 minutes whatever is saved has been worth it to us in particular with having a shovel monkey in one of the trucks. With no sidewalk crew or salt truck following behind we have found we can be very efficient at opening the whole property at once. The other time saver has been that one driver will compete against the other to get the job done in an efficient manner and neither one of them will slack (just make time) as the other might rat him out. The money is made when the plows are on the ground pushing not when the drivers are out shoveling.
  12. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Like others have said,it comes down to timing.An example is a large Post office I do.It's really 4 lots.We'll start out with 2 or 3 trucks and knock it out in an hour.The 2" storm the other day just send one truck,so it varies storm to storm.During blizzard we had to go out in pairs,needed to pull each other out! We take care of large lot's and split up for the smaller lot's and work our way toward the goal-diner and crew breakfast!The best cornbeef hash!