1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What size fuse for 220Watts of light?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Maleko, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

If i have 220 watts of backup lights what size fuse do i need?
    I have 4 55watt light i want to wire to one switch for back up and my sander as well
    Also what size relay as well?

Thanks in advance..

2. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

220 / 12 volts = 18.3 amps

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

a 30 amp relay will do the trick, I would feed the relay with a 10 ga wire directly off the battery with a 20 amp fuse on that. Then wire the relay accordingly.

4. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

20 amps will probably blow.....your charging circuit can put out 14 volts, which will up your current to 21.5 amps. I would probably use a 30 amp relay, 25-30 amp fuse, and 12-10 gauge wire. Also make sure your connections are cleaned, greased, and tight. Most hot spots are caused by poor contact resistance as opposed to the wire itself.

5. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Big Thanks to all...

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Thanks for that, I forgot to take that into account.

7. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Go with LEDS and you won't have to worry about the relay and the major electrical pull, LOL!!! ;)

8. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

I know.. That was my first plan..

But i got some for free, Hella 55watters . So ill take em....

9. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

More voltage will pull less current/amperage or about 15 amps. Watts= amps x volts.
    Fuses rating is usually determined by the amount of current that the wire is rated to carry.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  10. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Second part is true. First part is way off base. The 55 watts is calculated at a nominal voltage (12v). Lights are not constant power-they are more or less constant resistance. As your voltage increases, so will light output (and current draw), because they draw more power. In this case, the size wire and fuse are determined by the current draw.

A 12 gauge wire will easily carry 30 amps. (DC)

11. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

You are right, I was thinking more in terms of a plow drawing more current when there is a voltage drop.