1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what size cat to buy

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by bru z71, Feb 14, 2013.

1. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

i am thinking of getting a cat and only a cat skid steer track machine i was wondering what size to get i was looking around and i am thinking a 277c or a 257b something in that area also price range area 20 ish any suggestions ?ussmileyflag

2. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

What are you going to be using it for?

3. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

The biggest one you can afford and haul yourself.

4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

We have a 277b has never had a problem with a 12' Daniels plow

5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 267, same as a 277, the only issue I have is sometimes its too big to fit into peoples backyards. if you're getting into tight areas with a 277 you better be/have a good operator otherwise go with the 257.

6. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

if you are going to be loading tandem dumps with it get the larger machine. the 257-259 is too small and will not lift high enough to get in the body.

7. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

i plow a condo so i cant wing anything behind cars etc i was thinking a 8 foot box for it .
    there are 6 buildings all next to each other the parking lots are like 50 yards long . i am on the fence about getting a track machine or wheels any suggestions and yes i will be loading a truck every now and then ussmileyflag

8. tjctransport

the track machines get better traction, and lower ground pressure, so they do not tear things up as much in wet or soft conditions. .

9. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

What's it going to do in the summer? If its going to.sit a lot get wheels. Track systems need to be run so they don't freeze up.

10. harrison6jd

harrison6jd Member

all good points here. also consider your tow vehicle capabilities. your trailer capabilities. over 10,000 lbs trailer weight, i believe you need a cdl. do you have a garage now. if you want to put it in there, check the height of the door. when buying my 247b, my tow vehicle was the deciding factor. i didnt want to have to buy another truck. now instead of spending 45,000 bucks on the machine, i would have had to spend 105,000 on the machine and a truck and a bigger trailer. just my opinion.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Leopard is my favorite big cat.

You do not need a CDL to haul a trailer over 10k.........

12. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

rubber trax that is . I had a sub show up with steel trax 3 yrs back and he re-designed the newly paved asphalt :eek:

13. harrison6jd

harrison6jd Member

i know this topic has been here before and i am not stirring things up but i was under the impression if an f550 pulling a 10,000lb trailer would put you over 26,000lb CGVWR and requiring a cdl class c. i never seem to get the same answer when asking people who should know.

14. tjctransport

true this!!!! Thumbs Up
    i forgot all about those bolt on over the tires tracks!

15. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

oh yea, he did a super job .
    we were wondering how he cleaned 2-3'' snow pack from a 1 acre truck stop lot perty dang quik , but the customer :cry:cried about some simple scuffs on the new top .

saved on material big time but billed accordingly

16. schmol

schmol Senior Member

I've got to disagree with this. We have had both a 257b2 and now a 257b3 and both load triaxle trucks very well.

17. tjctransport

triaxles usually have lower sideboards than tandems due to the longer body.
    the 2012 259 B-3 loads the 05 T-800 kenworth with no problem, but you can only get the level bucket to the sideboards of mack tandems. to load the tandems we need to run the opposite side up on a pile, or ramp the loading side to clear the sideboards.

18. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

i am mainly going to use it for plowing and rent it out to a friend of mine that is a contracter yes it will be indoors during the winter and summer. towing it i got a 2500 duramax should not be a problem
    do some of you guys think that a 277b or c is a little big or should i go with a 257 or something ? i obv would rather a bigger machine bigger is allways better i am not really worryied about getting it into ppls back yards. the real main reason for wanting a machine is over all life time this will last much longer then a truck

19. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

and also what type of track system should i go with

20. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

If you are plowing paved lots and driveways on level ground. Tires
    if you will be going to be using it on stone/dirt lots with hilly or uneven terrain. Tracks

If you're using it mainly for plowing you should do what GreenMTboy did. Buy it with tires and get the VTS track system for the summer.

I have a MTL and love it, but it's slower then a wheeled machine(yes I have 2 speed) It's smoother and less rough then a wheeled machine, but if you're doing large lots get a wheeled machine you can get a much larger plow with a wheeled machine.

I hope this helps. Check out GreenMTboy post he has some great info and reviews of his system.

I would Go with the 277/272 series (the 7) indicates its an MTL Rubber boggies and ASV style tread if it ends with a 9 that indicates its an all steel undercarriage with alternating block tread. if it ends with a 2 it's a wheeled machine.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013