1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Size Blade?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bass7, Jun 22, 2003.

1. bass7

bass7 Junior Member

I own a 1985 Jeep CJ7, 4-cylinder, 4-speed, manual. I'm running a Meyer's E46 snowplow pump on it. What size blade should I be using? I currently have a 7 1/2 foot one. Is that too large? Thanks.

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I think the 7.5' is too big for the Jeep. I think the ideal size for a Jeep like that would be 6.5'. By the way, welcome to PlowSite! Anything else you need answered, ask away, if I cant help you, someone will. Mike :waving:

3. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I have a cj-5 with a 6.5 meyers,it will plow thru anything.

4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, I would think that 7.5' is too big for that jeep, unless that Meyer plow is really light. Better look into something smaller like 6.5'. Maybe 7' if its light enough.

5. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

6.5' to a max of 7' anything more would be too heavy unless you have a very beefed up suspension.

Jay

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Hmm I run a 7.5 on a Jeep and Toyota. We have smaller blades for the heavier snow but the trucks will push it fine. Especially the Jeep inline 6.

7. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

My father has a 93 Jeep Wrangler with 4.0L inline six/5 spd other wise stock, he runs a 6.5' Western on his and pushes great. He also has a 84 CJ-7 with a Chev 350/turbo 350 with a 7' Western on that also. He did try my old 7.5' Western on both of them, but we felt that it was just too heavy for the little axles and suspension under the Jeeps.

8. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

i would say 7ft should be ok. 7.5 is kinda large for that truck to heavey on the front.:nod:

9. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

The big question would be what type of plowing are you doing?Just your own or if others are they fairly flat?If your getting into hills and such i would say 7.5 is a bit big but on the flats you would be fine.

CT18,what kind of plowing are you doing with your 7.5's?maybe that can shed some light here.

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

If you already have the 7.5,and it works OK,then keep using it.The weight difference on the front end won't make a huge difference,especially if it's a lightweight Meyer.

The truck will let you know if it's too much blade when pushing big snow.It just won't do it.Just take smaller cuts,and you'll be fine.

11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Plowing with the 7.5 is fine for lighter (less wet) snowfalls. As long as you get traction you can push a lot of snow. Usually the truck will start spinning tires long before it bogs down.

When we get a heavy wet snow (early or late in the season) then run the smaller blade. Wyldman is right, if you plow with the storm and take smaller cuts when starting out then you can run a bigger blade. In the end it does save time. Most of the plowing these trucks do are driveways and smaller area.

12. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

CT,those smaller vehicles are pretty light,what do you do in the line of added weight for your jeep and toyota?

13. DJC

DJC Senior Member

A 6.5 would be the best for your jeep.....

14. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite DJC:waving:

wouldn't a 7ft fit a jeep best i would guess a 6.5 would be small. My friend has a jeep wrangler with a 7ft Ortiz snowplow it works perfect:)

15. DJC

DJC Senior Member

THANKS !!! I guess a 7ft would work ok also. I Have been plowing snow for 9 years in Maine and have now moved to Michigan. Going to start up again. I love fisher plow's but can't find them out here:(

16. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite DJC :waving:

We have a few members on here from Michigan,so I'm, sure someone knows a few Fisher dealers in your area.

17. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Thanks, wyldman

I work with my farther-in-law, he has a lawn care service and I want to start plowing snow again !!!! :):)

18. wyldman

wyldman Member

Well you came to the right place.Your better off to get a cheap 4X4 plow truck to start.Again,do a search,and you'll find tons of info and opinions on trucks,plow,and the business in general.