1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What size Avalanche Otimus pusher should I run on my loaders?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Jason Johnson, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Jason Johnson

Jason Johnson Junior Member

We have Doosan DL220 wheel loaders this season. They are about 160hp and weigh around 27,000#. We have run the Doosan DL200TC in the past at 142hp and 26,000# and rubber edge 16' pushers with 3' tall and deep end plates (5.34 cubic yard capacity) seemed to be as much as this thing wanted in front of it with wetter and heavier snow. SO...does a metal edge and something that adjusts to the ground push easier? I have narrowed the new pushers down to the Avalanche Optimus but not the size. The 14' with 44" tall and deep end plates is 6.98 cubic yards and the 16' with 52" tall and deep end plates is 9.76 cubic yards. I'm worried about getting the wrong size pushers and being pissed that I cant get it across the lot or that it laughs at it and I could handle the extra yardage. Anybody have experience with the Optimus and can give insight would be helpful too. Appreciate any feedback you can offer.

2. Jason Johnson

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Call Avalanche?

They have a sizing chart as does ProTech for reference.

I only have experience with a 10' MP pusher on a skidsteer, but Herm Witte said his operators noticed a difference running the MP LiveEdge over a rubber edged pusher--easier, less fuel.

4. Jason Johnson

I talked to Matthew at Avalanche and didn't really get a definitive answer. I looked at their site as well as Pro-Tech and Artic. Avalanche said 16' which is almost 10cy so about double the capacity of what we have been doing in the past with only a slightly larger loader.

5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't hesitate to put a 16' Liveboxx/Sectional on a loader that size in central Ohio unless you're pushing long long runs.

6. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 Senior Member

Agreed 16' minium unless you have areas that 16' won't fit for you. You can always take smaller bites, you can't add extra width... Well I suppose you could with a torch and welder....

7. Jason Johnson

We are an hour north of Columbus and typically get more snow than them with lake effect off of lake Michigan. Have several lots in the 6-1o acre range and push an average of 500' to get across the lot. The concern is the 1-2" an hour rate of snow we get occasionally and trying to push 4"+ of accumulation off of lots this size

8. Jason Johnson

We run 16' now and seems to fit in almost all places. The thing that concerns me is the volume. Going from 6 cubic yards capacity to 10 cubic yards capacity. Wondering if a metal and adjustable edge will have less drag than a fixed rubber edge?

9. John_DeereGreen

Absolutely the drag will be reduced. Significantly.

Send me a pm on what you're being quoted for the Avalanche pushers.

10. Jason Johnson

John_DeereGreen haven't heard back from you?

11. Jason Johnson

Any of you guys have experience with AMI or HLA? Seems like same products from different companies that are 40 miles apart from each other...weird. Seems like a decent product.

12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Be sure and buy extra cutting edges, I've more then a few broke on these pushers. Also the wing pins

13. Jason Johnson

What are the dimensions of your 16' artics that you run on your 930's?

14. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

And when you buy an Arctic make sure to get a a "Few" dozen blocks....:waving:

John_DeereGreen and Mark Oomkes like this.
  15. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

The Optimus with the steel cutting edge seems to move easier than a rubber edge acrocc the parking lot. I have one right next to my protech and it seems easier to push on my old trojan.

16. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Avalanche and metal pless appear to be competing products. Just wondering if avalanche comes with a super high end cutting edge? Paul's said metal pless' edges are good for 500 hrs. Knowing what we spent to put edges on our sectionals at 75 hrs, that's worth real money right there

17. Jason Johnson

He said the same thing to me. I haven't heard a lot about the Optimus edges from anyone. I'd like to know more on the reliability and life of the units and how they compare.

18. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Herm up in Grand Rapids has 2 or 3 years on a 16ft live box. We only have 3 pushes on ours. Who has the most hours on their live edges Paul? Anyone up in Canada that can speak to this?

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Someone over in Chicago tested one a couple tree years ago, during the bad winter. Seems like they had over 250 hours on it with very minimal wear. I want to say 1/4" or less, but I could be mistaken.

20. John_DeereGreen

I think I remember seeing Chad say his skid box had 300 or so and the edges still looked close to new.