1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what size alternator????

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by stcroixjoe, Feb 18, 2006.

1. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe Senior Member

how many amp's is sufficient for plowing? i have a 98 1500 with a stock 117 would that be good or no? any input would help i am debating on either putting on a Sno-way or a Meyer set up
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You can get a second battery tray for the (r) fender well (you can get it from your dealer for around $28 to $30) then get a second battery that is the same as the one you have or get two new ones. get the Biggest (CCA) ones that will fit or that you can afford. Hook them up + to + & - to -. Then when your stock ALT goes out, up grade to the 136amp ALT..
  3. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

the stock 117 should work for the time being, make sure you get a GOOD battery, the heavier the better, go to a good reputible battery shop and tell them you want the biggest and heaviest duty battery you can get in the tray
  4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Odds are you have a group 34 in the truck- put in group 84's it the size the diesel's come with. Lower CCA but way longer reserve capacity which is what you really need for running a plow. The 117 will work fine for now- the plow prep upgrade put's in a 136 which seems to only be available from the dealer. all my local auto parts places only list a 120 rebuild even for my Diesel. But the 120 I bought in the blizzard last year was tested to 175amps by the rebuild sticker on the side of it..... food for thought.