1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What size alternator do you use on plow truck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by kaufys, Jan 17, 2009.

1. kaufys

kaufys Junior Member
    from chicago

What size alternator do you use on your trucks

2. I just had mine upgraded from a 90amp to a 130amp. That was the biggest they could fit in my engine compartment. Its a Dodge Ram 1500 5.2ltr engine.

3. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

Mine is being rebuilt as I type to 140 amp. Half the price of a rebuilt 95 amp from NAPA.

4. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

I got a 130 amp in my 2500 chev but when that goes I'll be putting the 200 amp in.

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

160 Amp in my jeep

6. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I've been thinking on this to much .. I post in the Ohio thread on this . theirs a guy not to far from me that can make my old one a 300 amp . I just got the phone number yesterday . Is their a such this as to much amps . I don't know what do you guys think ?

7. Runner

Runner Senior Member

It's not the size of the alternator - rating wise. you can spend all the money you want on the bigger alternators, and they still won't suit the whole need. It's not a matter of going from a 130 to a 200 amp (though this DOES help to a degree). This is the rating of amps it puts out at 2000 rpms. What you need is an alternator that puts out high amps at at LOW rpms. You need an alternator that puts out high at nearly an idle. One of the tricks to this is to change the gear ratio. This can be achieved by either a larger crank pulley, or more commonly a smaller alternator pulley, or a combination of both. We have ours built to put out higher amps at lower r's.

8. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

I run powemaster alternators in my trucks 140 amp. they also sell a 200 amp but it wasn't in my price range nor really needed as i'm running 2 interstate 800 cca batteries.

9. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

A friend of mine owns a alternator Shop and tried to build a bigger one for my truck as an experiment. He put in a lot more wire windings but there wasn't enough magnets to handle it. He said that you have to have a bigger (actual size) alternator to accommodate all that wire and have the magnets to be equal to the wire windings. He did put a smaller pulley on it but unless you have your foot in it, the amp gage drops big time when I raise the plow. So for now I am going to put the stock alternator back on and may look for a bigger one. Maybe he could put the smaller pulley on my stock alternator.

10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i have dual optimas mine came with 145amp

11. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

I should have added this in my previous post .. but you can also run dual alts. Custom install or theres some companies that make kits.

12. Runner

Runner Senior Member

That would certainly be a viable option, as well. I guess if you could fabricate a bracket (wouldn't be TOO hard) to hold another, you could directly power the second battery.

13. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

That makes sense. Can you buy smaller alternator pulleys from places like NAPA?

And, just another question, does it really matter on older, mechanical-driven pumps? My K20 has the old school pump mounted on the engine block and run off a C-belt, so extra power wouldn't be as big of a deal as it would with a new electric motor, right?

EDIT: One last question on this topic. On my '94 Blazer, would it be worth it to get a second battery when I get the plow on it? Or do you think I'd be better off getting the biggest battery possible and a low RPM, high amperage alternator?

14. zztarg

zztarg Member

145 Amps.

Most of the current will be drawn wen the pump motor starts from a dead stop - that peak current will be much, much larger than the (relatively) steady current that is drawn while the motor is running. Practically speaking, whatever size alternator you have, it probably won't be able to supply that peak current.

That's where the battery comes in. It stores energy and has a lot of peak power capability (hundreds of amps).

This is why the lights "flicker" (or dim) when the pump starts and then get a little brighter as it runs.

15. Bostonyj7

Bostonyj7 Senior Member

My 03 Silverado runs the factory 165 A alt. And my Wrangler runs a 98 Dodge ram 165A alt

Both work w/o problems at all

C-

16. doh

doh Senior Member

Exactly why I run the Optional Delco 105 AMP @ low RPM Right out of GM's parts book. With around 900CCA battery, it has been all I have needed.

17. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

would you happen to have a part number for that alternator?...mine took a crap and went to buy a 140amp one and it has a different plug on it so it wouldnt work, was stuck buying another 105 POS one from the local parts store.

18. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

The problem with a smaller pulley on the alternator is you can over spin the alt and have it fail.

19. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Chu does the Dodge alt bolt right in place? I had a Powermaster in the YJ and it crapped out after about 3 months.

20. Bostonyj7

Bostonyj7 Senior Member

yes sir, it sure does. Found it on Pirate website. I can make sure of the year if you want