1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what size accounts can i handle???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bigdogtoledo, Nov 30, 2006.

1. bigdogtoledo

bigdogtoledo Junior Member

Hi i have a 97' F250 superduty with a meyer7.5 w/ extenders. what type of lots can my truck handle? I already landed a charter school that is pretty big. and i have some residentials, and a property investment group giving me some more residential and a couple more commercial accounts... But enough is always a little more than you have. any advice? thanks
  2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I think people would ride you hard IF you said you were trying to do all that with a 1/2 ton (which most of us have done!), but since you're using a 3/4 I'd say the truck should handle what you already have on the list. If you're new to this, you may want to start a little conservative and see how the season pans out. You never know how much you might pick up with the property management group, ya know? And when you develop a clientelle over a few years, you get into a system of how to keep all the accounts clear at the necessary times, and once you have the basic system going in your mind it's easier to add in another commercial or few more driveways later on. The last thing you want to do it p**s off a management group because you overextended yourself and kept people waiting. That could be the end of your relationship with a great account. Good luck!

3. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

you can always pay a sub if ya need a hand...
  4. bigdogtoledo

bigdogtoledo Junior Member

thanks guys i forgot to mention i was also going to outfit a cargo van with a commercial snowblower and a broadcast spreader to take the residential load off of the plow truck. i was really wondering like could a 3/4 truck handle say a large factory or like a big box store? would it be smart to take something of that caliber on at this point?
  5. BobC

BobC Senior Member

The truck can do it, but time will be the issue. What time frame do all the jobs have to completed in? The commercial accounts will need salting. Consider a V box spreader.
  6. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Like said above your truck in and of itself is not a problem, it's the perfect truck.

The issue is TIME. You said you already have a few commercialls and residentials, you said one of them is rather large. I don't see another commercial being a big issue. But really we can't say b/c how big is "big" . How many square ft. Acres? When do these places need to be cleared by.

I would consider another plow truck before putting together a dedicated sidewalk crew, JMO