1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What? Sidewalk plow and salt simultaneously?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Getherdone, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Getherdone

Getherdone Junior Member
    from Canada

I saw a guy running a small bobcat with a drop salter attached to the back. He was plowing small sidewalks and dropping the salt behind him as he went.

Has anyone else seen this before and how efficient do you think this set up would be? It looked like an interesting concept.

Thanks

2. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Sounds great but the practicality of it sucks. How often can you make one perfect pass with out a bit of clean up here and there before salt is applied? I'd prefer to get the snow off, visually see that the snow is gone and than salt

3. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

happens all the time :waving:

4. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Works great, I see it all the time, usually a compact tractor for city sidewalks but I have seen many variations.

5. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Well..... a couple years ago we added some broom like wings on the side of our ATV plow for that reason you stated above. (Snow rolls off the plow and back onto the sidewalk.
    With our setup the plow was scraping the pavement "Grass to Grass"
    Then as the snow left the blade the broom like "thing-ees" would push the snow back another 3" so once it fell it was still on the grass... Worked well!

Behind the ATV we were pulling a Mini trailer with a Liquid sprayer on it... As you can tell we get creative when we're bored.

6. Spoilt87

Spoilt87 Junior Member
    from Ontario

I get what your saying about a perfect pass, but if I could find a drop salter for the back of my S70 I would save lots of time not hooking up a salter after I plow, or using a push salter. I think having salt on board ready to go would be great. Any one know were I could find one?

7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

1 pass is the only way to do it... Usually we go much faster but this is a very effecient set up

http://youtu.be/t-Ka-r35kjc

8. Triple L

from Canada

reistindustries.com

9. Getherdone

Getherdone Junior Member
    from Canada

Would the added equipment affect maneuverability to much, ie. you've got an extra 3 feet of steel hanging off the back of the machine?

10. Triple L

from Canada

Thats why I built a back drag edge for it so its usefull as a 2 in one machine... Fits everywhere we've ever needed it too

11. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Don't want to get too off topic here but have you ever used their snow thowers or seen them in action?

12. Turf Guy

Turf Guy Member

Works great.... We have Bauman drop spreaders on our S70 & 463.... and have a choice of a broom or six way v-blade on the front.... It's worked great for us as we have a couple of sites that have zero tolerance for snow on sidewalks..... One pass, fast and efficient!
    tymusic

13. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

Checked them out quick they look good. What powers them on the back of the skid? Saw the pto ones but what do they use in a skid?

14. Triple L

from Canada

I'd love to see their new single stage in action... JCB victoria had 3 skids with single stages on them wonder who was lucky enough to place that order

15. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Hey triple L....why does the snow build up on top of the blower just out of the chute? Doesn't throw very far...?! I only ask because mine does the same thing and I'm quite disappointed...

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The city uses a machine specific for sidewalks. They use a blade for light snows, put a blower on when it's deep. Spreader on back. One pass, one man. Done.

17. Turf Guy

Turf Guy Member

Our drop spreaders are hydraulic powered.... Works pretty good... Bauman makes PTO & Hydraulic ones.... There are companies that offer electric ones as well I believe....
    tymusic

18. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

More than likely it's because the snow in that video wasn't very deep at all.