1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what should snowblower scraper blade height be?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BryPaulD, Oct 29, 2005.

1. BryPaulD

BryPaulD Junior Member

Just wondered if you put it tight to the driveway or leave it up a little bit? Or maybe adjust it according to the drive or whatever you're working on? Thanks

Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
  2. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

As low to the ground as possible. It scrapes the tire marks off the driveway better. Walkbehind snowblowers arn't really heavy enough to cause any gouging damage.

3. BryPaulD

BryPaulD Junior Member

Alright, and then just push down a little to keep the front up a tad for any gravel typr drives. So I'm not spitting rocks everywhere? Thanks again :)

4. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We scrape as close to the ground also. The cleaner the better, just replace the wear bar on the machine as needed. If you wait too long to replace the wear bar you will cause some damage to the lower housing.

5. farmboss088

farmboss088 Junior Member

One trick I was taught was to use 2 small flat files one under each corner of the bar, then raise or lower the skid shoes until the bar is resting on the files. This gives you the perfect clearence and also helps keep the scraper bar around longer.

6. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

Another thing is, if the snowblower has tires instead of tracks make sure they both have the same air pressure in them. If one tire is lower than the other it will affect the scraping...stay away from those newspapers under the snow too.

7. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

We have a tracked blower and its only used on concrete sidewalks. Anyway, it gets used in slushy conditions alot. The skids would wear out really fast, so we took them off and put on a set of wheels from a pair of inline skates. This has worked much better. Its easier to drive and the wheels seem to last for ever.

8. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Mark,

That is a really fantastic idea. I never thought of that. I think I will have to break out the mig welder and do a little fabricating... :drinkup: