1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What should my truck be getting an hour?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jvcski, Dec 14, 2007.

1. jvcski

jvcski Member

Hello everyone its been awhile since i've been on here actually 12-19-2004 was the list visit. Been really busy. well my question is i have an 2004 F-250 with an 8'6" fisher minute mount 2, it truly is an amazing truck and pushes snow Awesome. my question is how much should my truck be getting an hour doing about a dozen parking lots and also 40-50 driveways. now mind you i am not the only person plowing he has 3 of his own trucks and has me plowing with him. The town(s) we are plowing in are pretty affluent, so i am pretty interested on what you all have to say.

thank you again to all

Jason

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

anywwhere form 50-70 bucks i'd say.

3. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

with a 7.5 blade on a f150 i am getting 65hr

4. Hi Jason,
    The most important question to ask is if they are your accounts that and you're asking about retail pricing or if you're subbing out to this other guy and he's doing the billing and taking the risk of getting paid, etc...
    If you're subbing, I think the other guys are right on about 60-70 per hour.
    And, at a dozen lots with 40-50 driveways, that sounds like a good deal of work for each push, so it sounds positive to me.
    If you are doing the sales work and taking the risk of getting paid, then I think it should be more per hour.

Steve Hoogenakker
    Steve@Landscape.Pro

5. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

no anwser

There is no way to answer that correctly, I my eyes nobody that gives you a price per hour charges enough. $50 to $100 an hour? that would not be enough for me...
    I look at it like this:

Last storm 12-13-07
    7 1/2 " of snow
    2 truck out plowing a total of 17 hours (1 truck 11 hours the other 6)
    40 residential drives
    4 private roads
    3 small commercial
    1 medium commercial
    all with in 4 miles of our business
    Billed out $4090.- comes out to about 241.- an hour.

will any body pay you that an hour? No way!

Thats why I say, only you can really answer that question.
    What do you need to make an hour to pay for your truck and your labor?
    You are up and working in bad weather, mostly at night in what sounds like a 20k to 30k truck that needs to be paid for every month...

just my 2 cents...

Now lets bring some more snow for this weekend...!

6. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

DFD what year is your 150 plus is it a 5.4

7. jvcski

jvcski Member

thank you all for you quick responses i really appreciate it. you have all helped me with finding out what i should be getting for plowing. I also would like to say that i am not the one at risk at all i just need to be paid. thanks again and i am sure i will be on here for other things.

8. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Not doing to bad for yourself payup .

But yes you are correct. If you were subing for residential you could probably do... what... 10-15 drives an hour? Times that by $50 for the average residential driveway (in my area) and the boss man is making up to $750 on you an hour using your truck. If he pays you $50 an hour, now he just walked with $700 and never got out of bed.

I wouldnt let my truck plow for someone else for less than $120/hr. If they are looking for help they need it so F'em. If you demand high dollar (like I would) be sure to do an A+ job so he calls you back and maybe you can raise your price next year.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  9. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

WHAT DO YOU FEEL LIKE MAKING?

10. jvcski

jvcski Member

honestly i am not sure one million dollars an hour sounds good :blush2: haha. OK seriously i feel that my truck is worth at least between 65 and 70 an hour. I mean i tell the guy that i want to make 120 an hour he will probably tell me to go pound sand. Well in New England is expecting 8- 12 inchs Yippie.thanks again for all of your input

11. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

This Is the Truth!!!

12. somm

somm Senior Member

we second that blades!
    you need to be billing out at least $125 an hour just to turn a profit after paying out commercial insurance and licensing costs !!!
    :cry:

13. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

I don't know what your area commands but $75 and hour would be reasonable for an experienced driver in your truck.

14. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

It would also depend on how good you are.

Good is not fast.

A good plow guy can make whoever you are subbing for money.
    A inexperienced guy just looking to make what everyone else is can make a guy lose money.

I have seen some guys out that probably should not even be behind the wheel or controls of a plow truck..

Then again I have seen some guy's while working that I still learn a few tips from to increase efficiency and make more money.

How much you make depends on you not what everyone else is making.

15. mps

mps Junior Member

Plowing by the hour?

Mostly this is a question of who you are. A business owner or someone that has a truck and a plow and wants to make some extra money with out the commitment and expense of a REAL BUSINESS. When you are in business ( depending on your location there are variables) you would need to bill out 100.00 -150.00 per hour worked to make it. You don't do that by charging the customer that rate. You do that by bidding on the job and receiving a contract your bid wont say 150.00 per hour. It will be X amount of dollars for the job, per inch or by the season, whatever they prefer in your area.
    With that said if you are looking just to make some extra cash with out all the real work and expense, I would suggest calling around to a few of the larger snowplowing company's in your area and ask them what they are paying for subcontractors. The price usually has a few factors with them like model of truck 1/2 ton 3/4 ton 1 ton what kind and what size of plow and how old is your equipment and how long have you been plowing. Around this area hourly rates are 45.00 - 85.00 per hour depending on those factors.

16. jjmcnace

jjmcnace Member
    from Iowa

Well, here in Iowa I burn $10-12 per hour in fuel pushing snow with $3.00/gallon gas. Factor in the wear-and-tear on you truck and blade and also your time and insurance. I agree with some of the other posts I would charge no less than $120/hr.

17. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

So Jason- What are you being payed per hour?

18. CUCV

CUCV Junior Member
    from NH

Most guys I have worked with, worked for, or work for me get $50 an hour in this area for subs on an as need basis. Now if you commit to 24 hours on call I would try to work out a salary. If you are the only one doing the driveways I would negotiate a percentage. I did several driveways for another contractor a ways back, I did all the work he took 10%.
    I can get a backhoe and operator for $60 an hour and a loader for not much more.

19. GeeMC

GeeMC Member

Jason is probably sleeping right now...long night of plowing. Back from 2001 to 2004 he was getting 50 per hour from the same guy. That was with my truck, 98 GMC 1500 with a fisher 7'6". Fast little truck that would pump out the driveways at a good clip. I think he was doing 10 to 12 per hour provided it wasn't the heavy stuff. Now with the F 250 (trader!), it might be a little slower. He is experienced and good and his boss pays for the fuel.

Jason's Dad :waving:

20. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

That is nice for a sub.