1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What should my employees make per hour?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by lawnlandscape, Oct 18, 2010.

1. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

Ok, so my company is not even doing bids anymore for snow removal because I already am filled up for the year. Last year I had only one employee, but this year I will have 3 + myself.

I will have 2 guys responsible for snow blowing and shoveling at condo Associations. Both of these guys will make $15 per hour. Then I have one guy that will be returning from last year that was just a snow blower/shoveler last year, but will be plowing this year. Last year he made $16. This year I am giving him a raise, so he will be making $17.50.

What would other company's pay hourly for these types of workers?
  2. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

assuming he is plowing in ur truck that sounds decent to me
  3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

My contractor pays his guys 18 an hour to use his trucks.
  4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Sounds right on the Shovelers/Blowers. The Plowing wage is low, $20.00/Hr at least.
  5. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I pay anyone that is driving/operating any equipment, including trucks, at least $20 an hour. Your shoveling wage sounds dead on to me.
  6. lawnlandscape

Considering this is his first year every plowing and also considering he just broke a window at a house with a stump grinder, I'm going to leave him at $17.50 this year. Its already a $1.50 increase over last year anyway.

thanks for your imput guys. Much appreciated.
  7. Elite Property Services

Elite Property Services Senior Member

I pay $25 but usually all my drivers are extremely qualified and do a good job. There also is light shoveling.
  8. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

$20/hr for operators and $15/hr for shovelers

How did he manage to break a window with a stump grinder ?
  9. lawnlandscape

I have no idea actually. I went to grab something and was gone for 10 min, came back and he showed me it. It was a basement window so it was right at the level he was grinding, but he said the grinder seemed to get caught on something and pulled him into the house.

I just really have no idea. I have never had a stump grinder pull me and have used them hundreds of times... lol
  10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Stuff happens! Its the cost of doing business I guess. Around here (the snow plowing dumpster for pricing) wages can go for 12-15 for sidewalks and 10-high teen's for plowing in a company vehicle.
  11. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

Oh the machine went through the window ? lol :eek: he must be a little guy

I was thinking something flew out the grinds and you being unreal for counting against him hell he would never touch a power tool if he is on my crew for a while :realmad:
  12. lawnlandscape

ya the machine hit the window... lol And no.. hes actually a pretty big guy.. I just dont understand what happened exactly, but I could see the 2' grove where he made his path straight into the window.
  13. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

Simple. Pay your people what you can afford to pay them so you can still run a profitable business, and understand some simple rules. If you take care of your employees, you won't have any trouble counting on them to show up at 1am or on Christmas morning. Pay them average or lower wages then expect some occasional or frequent problems. I have learned over the years it's more valuable to find the "right employee" rather then "a employee" hands down. My guys would do anything for me, but in return I will try to do the same. You get what you pay for!
  14. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

good hard reliable and careful workers that are making you money are worth keeping happy
  15. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

i agree. in my area new guys are 10 to 15 an hour in our trucks. if they use their own truck its obviously more. it all depends on experience and how they perform.
  16. speralandscape

speralandscape Member

I think that is a fair price for his first year plowing as it will take him some time to become efficient, at which time you could give him a raise if you feel he deserves it.
  17. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

1st year in a truck, start him as low as you can until he proves he is worth more, then give him what he is worth to you. i cannot tell you how many guys tell me they are "experienced" then they back the truck into something and cost me $ and they are pissed they are not making enough.
  18. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

in chicago i have made 25 an hour when i was drinving my boses truck when mine hit the shitter!
  19. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

I'm in Dayton, Ohio and my starting rates are $8/hr per unskilled laborer and $14/hr per driver. That is just starting....and to be honest I pay myself $14 until I know I am in the clear, and then I bump my own to $22/hr when I know I'm getting my money. I take care of my guys very quickly too.

Look at it this way...
    Who is looking for these jobs? Why are they looking? and can they survive at that rate? That is how I set my minimums. I start at $14 and then usually if I want to keep 'em I bring 'em in house and if it works the next season I bump them up mid 2nd season to $16 and then I see how it goes. The more valuable they are, the more I pay them. I have a guy that will earn twice my own normal wage because he does so much for me....but then again I get the owner's share and a bunch of cool toys......

A reliable $14 an hour is life changing for guys in my area. I want to change lives....not give them false hopes and then fail. Take care of the good ones as long as you can make money with them. If not let them choose where to go and give them a positive reference.
  20. lawnlandscape

$14 per hour 'life changing'? for snow removal? Last year was a somewhat light year an my guys only got about 120 hours all season.

120 X 14 = $1,680

November 1st - April 15th = 23 weeks

$1,680 / 23 weeks = $73.00 per week. How can anyone possibly live on that? (And thats gross wages!! They still got taxes coming out of that)