1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What should I watch for?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by NoSnowInNC, Oct 17, 2004.

1. NoSnowInNC

NoSnowInNC Junior Member

In November of 2003 I got a brand new 2004 Dodge 2500 4x4, Cummins HO, 6 speed manual, crew cab. This is my first diesel and second Dodge. What do I need to keep my eye on, in terms of preventative maintainence? I change the oil every 6,000 miles and it has 18,500 miles on it now. I got the 6 speed, instead of an automatic, because of the curse on Dodges auto's. Do I need to get the valves adjusted? What will destroy a diesel? Cummins is a great motor and I am very familiar with diesels in general. I just wanted to know if theres anything that I need to pay extra attention too. I have made no modifications and probably won't. This is just a daily driver and does not see any work, except my atv in the back now and then. I used to plow back home in Mass. , but I am in North Carolina now. I am still addicted to snow and plowing, so this is a great site for a quick fix now and then.

Thanks Guys!!

2. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Well My CTD is a 02 2500 is a Auto, but to be honest with ya I've heard from a lot of people you can't Kill A Cummins Diesel, I've read in TDR guys running their trucks over 300k. Besides The Engine and changing the oil every 6k or so, Im not Sure of what service, needs to be performed on a manny, but besides that Id do Axle Fluids every 15k, rotate tires every other oil change, Cooliant flush every 15k, make sure everything is lubed regularly, air cleaner and fuel filter every other oil change. Thats basically the things I do To try and keep everything on the truck last and run longer, best diesel mileage,and best tire wear. Good Luck With IT!

3. somm

somm Senior Member

Because you placed your post in a pro-business forum, i'll co-pilot a pre-flight checklist with you here friend, lessee if i can remember: grease all (especially underside, solenoid/starter) electrical & battery connections with at least same lube as on fittings(red grease looks flippin cool!!!). OIL, LUBE & FILTER-CHANGE every 3000 miles - more than 3500 mi and you big-time risk some real smoky gelling prollems!!! At 20-25K miles: the $12 radiator additive combines with a full radiator fluid change ($100+ dealership) so your engine block wont deteriorate from under you (seen diesel plows on roadsides?). Tranny Fluid & Filter change ($500+ at dealership) at 30K miles. Start pricing new 4X4 tires at 20K miles, 'caus there's no going beyond 25K safely with them (we couldnt beat Sams Club 16" "E" Uniroyals for $400, -my dream is $600 worth of Yokohamas!). Brakes will be a 25-30K mile thing at $400+ from dealer.

When I'm riding on that much bucks of custom Snow rig, money well spent keeps me outta the shop and alive. Dealers around here have the sensor-reading diagnostics to quickly troubleshoot any repair to its source for minimum espenditure on their part, and its truly a customer's market now for those dealerships willing to put a sharp pencil to, and discount their customer's repairs for the repeat return of that customer to that same dealership, instead of passing them and going elsewhere.

hope that helps some
    -somm