1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what should i take when plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GAULK, Nov 30, 2005.

1. GAULK

GAULK Junior Member

I'm sure this has been asked a few times, i was wondering what i should carry with me when I'm plowing. (emergency stuff) this is my first year and i have a western 7.5. and a snow ex 575 spreader. if you ever had any problems and had to make on the spot repairs please share, i would like to round every thing up this week. i don't care if you think something is silly or not please share all your info. thanks gaulk
  2. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

I don't know if Western has it but an Emergency repair kit, CD's, some food, shovel (obviously), tow chain or strap, wrenches, WD-40 or equivelent, and coffee or ice tea...thats what i bring.
  3. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

Zip ties and Duct Tape never hurt either ..

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Fire extinguisher and 1st aid kit. Aspirins couple bottles of water, Anti freeze and Windshield washing fluid. Ice scraper gloves back up boots/shoes. Overhauls if you have a flat to change.

This is but a few things I carry I also have any tool that I would need as well as a small self igniting torch. Brake fluid, pwr. str. fluid, oil, hyd. fluid, 2 cycle oil, breaker bar for lug nuts and a couple of those tubes of sand just in case. Although I salt if I ever got in a bank or a high drift and stuck I think I would want sand.
  5. GAULK

GAULK Junior Member

wow good stuff guys keep em coming, i see a couple of good ones i did not think of. yes western does have emergency kit i was going to get one did not knot if it was a waste of money or if i would ever need any of that stuff.
  6. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

This was just asked a few weeks ago on this site, look back a few threads cause there were 50 replies, it was amazing. I'll try and post link ...:eek:
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

All of the above+, Spare hyd hose and fittings + a spring for the plow.
    extra cloths, some tools, nuts & bolts, jumper cables, HY-lift jack, starting fluid. tow chain, first aid kit, and road flares.
  8. go plow

go plow Senior Member

i bring a come along, chains, tow straps, tools, flashlight, and a jack, i once had my plow not raise in the middle of a parking lot, and needed to get back to my shop fast, i used the jack to lift my blade up and i re-chained it in the up position so i could drive it back........dont forget a shovel
  9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I bring my cell phone, wallet, and fire pager... Thats it. :nod:
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I take all the above also a roll of paper towels and window cleaner,5 pound fire extinguisher, an old pair of work boats and dry socks,extra gloves, a length of transmission (cooling line) tubing and clamps in case a cooling line gets snagged.
    Take a steel pointed garden shovel. If your alone and climb a pile too high at least you can free yourself. Snow shovels are pretty much useless for digging.
  11. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

A quick Tip if your plow wont go up .. push into a snow bank until plow comes up and hook the chain ... of course if ya dont have the jack to begin with
  12. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Headlamps come in real handy if you need to do something with two hands.
  13. pools&plowingct

pools&plowingct Member

toilet paper the most important thing in my book cause you never know when nature calls at it might be at 3 AM
  14. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

you got that s*** right!!!!! been there, done that!

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Everyone has made great points but I would take my truck and plow when I go plowing
  16. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Always carry an extra solenoid behind the seat with you, too. It's a simple part to change, but once they go out...that's it. They just go. Like was said earlier,...a full tool kit, flashlight, spare hardware including nuts and bolts. Extra pins for your plow - both large and small. You esPECially need a bolt and nut the right size to go through TWO links of your plowchain. This is just in case your chain ever breaks. Electrical tape and duct tape should both be in your kit. Extra tranny fluid or plow fluid...whichever you use. And of course, always have a GOOD set of jumpers with you and a good towstrap. It is things like these that make it a good reason to have a nice toolbox on the back of your truck..like a crossbox. I'd be lost without one.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  17. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I also carry a rol of TP. Sealed in a ziplock.
    Als a thing of chapstick.
  18. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Buy better softer toilet paper then you wont need the chapstick.

19. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Carry a large empty Mc D's pop cup with you. Never know when there is no dumpster encolsure to "De-ice" on the route. Just watch for security camara's they are everywhere!
  20. go plow

go plow Senior Member

mick, thats what my truck door is for!!!! lol lol