1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What should I pay my Brother??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by scotty2222, Oct 24, 2005.

1. scotty2222

scotty2222 Member
    from MI

My brother is going to help me out this year an he has never plowed before. I was just asking what to pay him when he is using my truck. I've seen prices from 20-40 for someone to drive your truck. As far as I know he is real responsible. He's been helping pass out fliers working on the truck what ever it takes. This is were I'm stuck as in what to pay when it comes time to Plow!!

2. hoagie

hoagie Member

20 to $40? An hour?

Can I come work for you?

3. hoagie

hoagie Member

I'd say $20/hr would be at the top end of the scale for using YOUR truck.

4. scotty2222

scotty2222 Member
    from MI

Hoagie
    Thats what I thought but I don't want to be that low baller. He will find out what a good rate is, but I want find out first.... any one else to respond would be much helpful. Thanks for the reply Hoagie..

Scotty

5. gpin

gpin Senior Member

The other way to figure out what to pay him is to work backwards. What will his contrubution to the profit be? If your brother is reliable and won't beat up your equipment, he may be a great value. If you pay some cowboy $15/hr and he is not careful with your equipment, what's the bottom line?

If you are clearing $50/hr, why not split it with him or come up with an incentive system?

Good luck and I wish you a profitable winter.

6. NEAL

NEAL Member

I kmow pay will differ from area to area but by me in southern Wisconsin a snowplowing company is paying $20.00 an hour to drive their truck. Sub work in your own truck seems to be $50.00 to $62.00 an hour.

7. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Im having my brother work for me this winter also. He is 26, and im paying him $20 an hour. I told him if he bought his own rig that I'd pay him $75 an hour, but he refused, which is fine by me :)