1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what should I paint trailer frame with?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by hardwoodcd, Oct 15, 2011.

1. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

I just bought a new to me trailer and I'm going to be stripping it down. Once I have blasted the frame, what should I paint/coat it with? This is all new territory to me, working with metal. But I figure I'll just jump in. I'm going to be building up the walls to about 1 1/2 or 2' tall solid for hauling wood mostly. Any comments would be appreciated! Thanks, Casey

2. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

Por-15 ftw!

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

POR-15 is great so serious rust but if the metals good prime it with a good primer then coat with an oil based industrial paint (XO rust, Rustoleum,etc) that allows for easy repainting. adding harder will make it glosser and more durable. Read hardener instructions carefully, to much hardener and it will never dry.

4. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

there is a product called "rust shield" that is much cheaper than POR15 (which stands for paint over rust, great product if you have lots of scaley rust). If you blasting to clean metal, I would go with the rust shield, it's made for painting frames and such, no primer necessary, just wipe the frame down with some good cleaner (I used prep-s all). I bought the paint at Auto City , not sure of the actual brand without going to the shop and looking at an old can but I'm sure you can google the product.
    The rust shield can be sprayed, rolled or brushed on with excellent results. I paid almost a hundred bucks for a gallon, if you decide to spray it , thin it very little.
    good luck.

ps, if you plan on keeping the trailer, stay away from epoxy primers.

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

If your going through all the trouble to blast it all down and everything I would see how much it would be to line X the frame. That trailer should last for years and years with no rust. My guess is if you did the blasting you might pay 5-600 to have it done, maybe less.

6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I use rust doctor on everythig best thing I have ever used!

7. Landgreen

Landgreen Member

Chassis Saver works well. I've used it on several pieces of equipment with great results. Very hard finish. Gotta use a good respirator when spraying.

8. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

hurculiner after a good blasting, i just did the rockers and stuff on my truck and it going to be the new franks red hot sauce for me. im going to put that shyt on everything!

9. skimastr105

skimastr105 Member

ppg makes a paint called durathane dtm. it is designed to be sprayed directly on sandblasted metal. you can add hardener for a glossier, harder finish. It's good stuff and won't break the bank.

Alec.

10. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

franks hot sauce is amazingThumbs Up