1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What should I offer??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Truck207, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Truck207

Truck207 Member
    from Maine

I know someone that is thinking about selling their 1996-1998 (not sure which year it is) GMC K2500 Reg. Cab pick-up, 350 engine, auto, 199,000 miles, and it has an 8' Fisher Minute Mount Plow. I was wondering what all of you thought would be a reasonable offer for the truck and plow? I know it has a lot of miles, but it would only be used to drive around town and to plow my driveway and a maybe a couple others. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

1500 is about the max 1000 is more like it

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

with that many miles I have to agree with Kash...$2k max, and thats if it's in any kind of good shape. Check the cab mounts, springs, look over the engine compartment and front suspension. Ask yourself, what am I most likely going to have to replace soon to keep this thing road worthy. Also, you say you know him......how's he been treating it. All things to consider. even $2k for a good plow truck, she'll earn her keep and put money in your pocket. Worst case, blow the truck up and keep the plow, for your next rig.

4. smokefan20

smokefan20 Junior Member

i purchase a 96 k1500 for 5k with a 7'5 fisher. truck has 157k when i bought it. You can not find a plow truck for cheap here. this was also 2 years ago so i dont know what the prices are now. Truck runs great. i dont regreat purchsing the truck at all. i just couldnt justify purchsing a new truck since the truck sits there mostly.

5. Truck207

Truck207 Member
    from Maine

I was thinking the same, about $1000 to $1500. The person is my uncle and he hasn't beaten. He has towed a race car with it, but nothing extreme.

6. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Well if its family he might get offended by the fair market value offer :) no more than 2k if its in very good shape.

7. Truck207

Truck207 Member
    from Maine

LOL. The body is in pretty good shape. The only reason why he is thinking about getting rid of it is because he bought a 2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins and he is putting another plow on that.

8. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

500 + the value of the plow, I bought a 96 ford 4x4 for 400.00 last winter, with a lot less miles. What is the asking price? With beaters I start at 50% of the asking price, but with family....

9. Beachernaut

Beachernaut Member

If there's nothing wrong with the truck, it's worth $1k, and I'd imagine the plow would be worth another $1k, so I think $2k would be reasonable.

Note: if that truck is an auto, have it checked out. We had a 1998 chevy that the trans went at 120k miles. After researching it, I found that it wasn't uncommon.

10. Truck207

Truck207 Member
    from Maine

He doesn't know what he wants for it right now. I just figured i would give him an offer and see what he says.

Beachernaut, I was thinking about that also, because I don't know if the trans has ever been replaced. If not it kind of worries me, but if it hasn't been replaced, then it is one strong trans!