1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What should I look out for.

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by lawnproslawncar, Feb 1, 2009.

1. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Hey guys,
    I'm 90% sure I'm buying a blizzard plow for the F-550 next year.
    What plow should I get and what do I need to look out for as far as preventative tips on maintaining them? Any beefing need to be done on the plow?

2. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

8611lp best bang for the buckpayup

3. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Put this 810 on 2 years ago for a customer. No problems at all in 2 years.

f550 plow.jpg

4. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Another view

f55- plow 2.jpg

5. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

On that big of a truck I would run the full size 8611, but you cant go wrong with any Blizzard

6. lawnproslawncar

Whats the lift and drop like? Lift as high as a boss? Lower as much as you can chained lower with a western?

7. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

In my opinion I would not buy another blizzard. Best built plow and plows awesome when its running and not being repaired. The first year I went through 2 cylinders and 1 valve, the second year I went through 1 cylinder , 2 valves, pump, motor. Do some research in this forum and purchase your plow or take your plow to Jerre. You get his phone # and 24/7 support with him. I did not go to Jerre and had difficulty getting answers to fix my plow. If you do not go to Jerre buy 2 plows, one for a backup. Look at the threads here and you will see people with problems/questions on their blizzards and have over 100 views and only 5 replies!!! I had mine for 2 years and like I said I loved it when it worked. This year I switched plow. Just my .03 cents since you asked. Good luck

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  8. lawnproslawncar

thanks everyone

9. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Not exactly true. We all help when we can and Jerre gives out more free advise than anyone! All plows have there issues and Blizzard is no exception. If you can make the trip to Erie it's well worth while. I love my 810, for that truck the 8611 full size would be the best fit.

10. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

I loved my 810 also, also said best built plow, however when I had issues there was no help. Even calling Jerre - You need to have his plow to get in the loop, as I stated he is 24/7 service when you have one of his plows. I would do the exact same thing if I was a dealer. Dealers did not have pumps in stock - I had to pay $$$ to have one removed from a new plow and his concern was he probally would sell the plow before he got a new pump. Before I bought a new plow I carefully viewed all the inventory he had. I just gave my opinion thats all that was asked in this thread. I am very sorry I had to sell my blizzard I also sold my 06 F350 6.0 because that had issues also. I lost $$ on both but I just want reliability thats all.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  11. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Dealer support is big when it comes to any plow. Wis. is far, but it's been done before.

12. CLRSNOW

CLRSNOW Junior Member
    from Montana

I have had an 8611 on a F550 for 6 years with no problems with plow or truck. I reworked the main pins on the aframe latch after 2 years. I am on my 4th set of cutting edges and have built much thicker ones for the wings 3/4" and 1" AR500 plate.
    Also I have been running a 8611lp on a 1979 Bronco with no problems.I do have Ballast in all my trucks.I would recommend the blizzard to anyone who wants to increase profits.

13. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

a few of us from MN will be taking a road trip to Erie this summer for some plow mods and maybe some new plows. Havent worked out who's driving or how many trailers are going, but your welcome to come with.

14. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Add the A frame stops to it first thing to protect the angle cylinders. . And grease the push beam pivots every couple of storms to slow the frame wear. . These are the two main trouble spots I have had after 2 seasons.

15. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

being a dealer i have 24/7 support for my customers and for any one else who calls I try to solve many problems over the phone and for blizzard parts i even take new plow apart to get them when I do not have in stock Main problem is dd not shipping fast enough or they are out of stock tried many other brands nothing beats a blizzardpayup

16. lawnproslawncar

I've been screwed many times by many people. I just keep parts in stock and back ups lined up. It may be crude but it works as well as i can get it to in my area. Seems like all our plow dealers in the area plow for money too.

17. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

I didn't say all dealers were bad, or there was no support out there. Not all dealers are 24/7 I just know Jerre is. I was thrilled my dealer took one out of a new plow to keep me going, he just mentioned how longggggggg it took to get parts. My new plow dealer has a dozen of all parts needed, with overnight shipping available on all parts if he was to run out.

18. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

was not kidding on longgggggggggggggggggggggggg to get parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:realmad:

19. damian

damian Senior Member

i keep a used spare 800 rental plow for my customers only,i think jerre does too,i also give my cell out,i take care of my own (those who bought from me).if we are not in it for the money why would we be in it?

20. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

DO NOT !!!!! PUT A 8611LP on that truck !!!!!!! that F550 will handle a Full Size 8611... and that is the only thing I would put on it.... the LP is appx 450lbs lighter, and has tin where there should be steel.