1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What should I look for ?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by blk90s13, Aug 25, 2010.

1. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

I have about an acr + 1/2 of property its been 5 years since we bought the house and property less than 1/2 of the property is clear flat lands every thing else is just plain woods

I wanna buy a machine to clear the land after I cut down most of the trees

reason I was thinking of getting a machine my self is the prices I got from people around NJ to clear the land is CRAZY lol they wanna buy a new bobcat off my job alone WTF !

so I buy a used machine put it to work around the house and when it snows maybe take it out for some work in the snow as well if I can get a good operator

what should I look for ? size brand engine tracks or tires etc etc etc

ps I use a s300 gold package at work and I would love one but cannot afford the $40k price tag in the dam thing I wanna spend close to or less than 5k

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

If you need to do clearing work an excavator is a much better choice than a skidsteer. But thats where I am in NJ, may be different down by you in the sandy soil........ If youj need a used machine check the auctions and criagslist, also ironplanet.com has tons machines.

3. blk90s13

its all trees that I will lay down and start chipping branches and then move some dirt around and at the end I will dig out some of the little stumps and grind the bigger ones

4. blk90s13

Another question about the controls what is a case style controllers ? not all skid steer have foot and hand controls like the S300 I use at work ? I am new to the heavy equipment so go easy on me please

5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

since you are new i well be easy on you, case skidsteers use strictly hand controls, controller moves side to side, to lift/lower loader arms, the other side moves side to side, to tilt up/down the bucket. Also don't be afraid to use a set of forks on a skidsteer to remove big stumps, we do it all the time, just lift each root, then work the trunk around, works wonders.

6. blk90s13

thanks for the info and the idea with the forks does not sound bad at all :D

7. plowinli

plowinli Member

Why not look to rent a machine to clear the land them look to buy a used machine to have around for other uses. I have cleared land with a CAT track loader with a 4-1 bucket, it worked great. You push the tree down which pops the stump out, then you cut all the branches off the tree while the stump is still patially in the ground(holds the truck off ground for easy cutting) and cut up the tree for firewood. I assume you want the firewood. The stumps come out of the ground a lot easier by using the weight of the tree to pull it out while you push it over. The 4-1 bucket you use to grab the branches and stumps for disposal. I don't like to leave the stumps in the groud to rot, if you don't care about the rotting stumps or firewood hire a guy to to clear the land and chip it. The guy I use comes in with a bit machine that grabs the tree cuts it off at the base stacks it by his huge chipper that picks up full trees and chips it branches and all. He also has a chipper for the stumps but there is an extra charge for that. I hope this helps because it would be difficult to do all you want with just one machine like a bobcat, I'm not saying it can't be done but will take a lot longer and be harder on you and the equipment.

8. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Just wondering if anyone else sees the irony in these 2 statements.

9. blk90s13

yes you are right I see the irony

10. blk90s13

11. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

lol, hey if the hydraulics on it are strong, that machine would probably do for what you are doing, the thing about skidsteers (especially the older ones) is that there is very little to actually go wrong in them, i have seen a skidsteer with over 10 000 hours on it, never had a engine rebuild, never needed a pump redone.