1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What should I look for in a used diesel?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ultimate plow, Aug 19, 2007.

1. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Im in the market for my first diesel. I dont want to spend anymore than 17K for one. Can I still get a decent one for that much? What particular years and models are the most reliable? Any help and opinions would be awsome. Thanks

2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

maint records are a must!!!
    fuel filters are key on a diesel and they are usually expensive to do and you have to do that about every 15k miles.
    Oil lasts much longer (there's lots of it) and thus oil changes are spendy too.
    Diesels tend to eat front brakes and front suspension parts because of all the weight over the front.
    Dodge automatics have issues.

Ford 6.0's have issues.
    Ford 7.3's are great motors
    The cummins is the best motor, the Dodge ram (94+) has the best turning radius of the big 3.

3. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

dodges and ford seem to most flooded the maket . however in my area ford out number the dodges . for the price your looking at you can see find a great truck prob anywheres from 80k too like 150k on the clock and be fairly new . seeing your other truck is ford is going that route there some things i can point out too . if can get some records that be greater for you . all diesel are subject to cavitation . however the fords are more b/c of cooling design so that if can get some records as far keeping that coolant flush thats great . i like to test with a test strip if comes out low ph going to find some issues you not going to want to be apart of . another ford problem is oil pans going to want too crawler under and check that out . some guys like there 6.0 some don't but 03-04 there was a few bad outs out there as far as 7.3s go 02 and 03 was too great years for them . dodges if can ever find an 98 get cause that was last year of the 12v . if wanna look into fords get me the vin and i'll get ya a oasis report for you

4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Hey mike psd: you seem to be a wealth of knowledge. I might be looking into a diesel soon too. Are the 24 valve Rams any good? I was looking at a '99 the other day, but the first year of the 24 valve kind of worries me a little. The truck seemed to be in great shape.

5. mike psd

from pa

24 valve are strong runnings . my only complant with dodges are there auto trans . try and find yourself and 5 or 6 spd . dodges make out of low end power and there are cheap to get even more power out of them . cummings are industry engine and you going to get many years of service from them good service and prob won't need an over haul until like 300-500k . ive heard the some of newer trucks there is some frame issues.

First time out what the frame look like ?

6. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Iv heard the cummins is one hell of an engine. So the cummins automatic aint the best? I would mainly be looking for automatic. I do like the cummins engine. How bout 94-00 years powerstokes?

7. mike psd

from pa

besides that i said above about powerstroke . there is CPS sensor that is common . most guys get a spare and thorw it in glove box its 5 min fix . IMO there a pretty soild truck lock out hubs soild axle frames are nice a beefy . the auto trans are fairly stout too . Powerstroke have one the best cooling designs . my truck never even comes close to half way up with the plow on driving . OBS 94 -98 have a smaller turbo . late 99 thur 03 has a bigger turbo . serviceing them is easy too . they are also noted too get some great life out of them too 350k or 400 k before major over haul . they hit there power band later then the cummings

8. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Dodge

dont know much about fords but dodge 96 to 2002 have front end issues where the steering wants to wander. lots of fixes but sometimes only temp. if you find it is tight check the tires for wear just to make sure. lukes link is a fix for those years, just look it up on google. if you want to check a dodge out for codes put the key in turn ignition on, off, on, off, and on - look at the km/miles and you will see any codes that the truck has. those error codes can be looked up online. ask about injectors. injector pump is pricey.
    i have a 99 with 310 000kms, a 2001 with 270 000 and a 2003 with 339 000 and only the 2001 needed the injector pump so far. i find that whenever i buy a truck i actually like that its been worked rather then babied. the cummins was made to work. i dont mean abused, i just like to see that someone did hook a trailer up to it once and a while. good luck. lots of deals out there.

9. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 2001 Dodge 2500 Diesel with an Auto. Excellent truck I get around 25 Mpg on the highway and have NEVER had a problem in 100,000 miles of hard use plowing and towing loads. With good maintainance anything should run awhile though

10. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

dodge 24 valves were offered in 1998 so were the 12 valves the 24 valves are called 98.5 or something. i wouldnt buy the first year of the 24 valve because i have heard they lack in power.

11. DeereFarmer

That '99 Ram was a junker. The frontend was actually too stiff among other problems. Not worth the $2,000 over blue book that they wanted for it. I'm still going to keep my eye out. I'm a Ford guy, but those Cummins engines might just be a little too hard to pass up!

12. mike psd

from pa

just get and f-650 with a cummings :cool: or a cat even better ! first time out try the autotrader.com help'd me find my truck

13. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Junior Member

Stay with a gas truck

If i were you I would stay with a gas truck... They drive better and are quicker to shoot around... I only recommend a diesel if your running real heavy loads.. not just a few mowers and a trailer.... All but 1 of my trucks are ford diesels.. and i allways drive the gas chevy because its so much easier to drive.. gets around faster... So unless its just for work.. might want to get a gas truck.. and there cheeper too ... ?

14. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

15. LoneCowboy

NOOOOOOOOOOOO :eek:
    run away
    the 6.0 (03 to 07) has MAJOR issues. Some run fine, but a more than significant portion have HUGE issues. Unbelievable amounts of 03's and 04's were bought back by Ford (lemon central)
    The 7.3L is a great truck and I have nothing against Fords, the 6.0 is BAD NEWS.
    I wouldn't buy it with your money. :nono:

16. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

I've been hearing similar about the 6.0. Look into a 2000- early2003 7.3.

17. DeereFarmer

I hear ya! At work we have a brand new '07 F750 with a Cummins (I think) and every option. There is a 5 yard sander and a 10' plow with it too. I think they paid just under $93K for it. I drove it for the first time today and was totally amazed. I didn't want to get out of it. I never thought I would find myself driving a truck that nice.

18. LoneCowboy

I didn't pay that much for my first house
    and I'm not that old

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Totally agree!!

20. DeereFarmer

Yeah, no kidding. I can't even imagine that type of money going for a truck. It is amazing, but just way too expensive. It's a town truck (I work for maintenance at a local school district) so it was cheaper than the MSRP because it was a state bid. We've only put about 100 miles amonth on it. Just not a whole lot of uses.:cry: