1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what should i keep with me?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kevinwebster1, Dec 4, 2006.

1. kevinwebster1

kevinwebster1 Member

when im out plowing i wanna be as efficient as possible so if somethin goes wrong i dont have to drive 45 min to get something fixed. i have a boss plow and i know they make an emergency kit for the plow. is that something i should pick up?

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Yes I would and do. I have a kit for both my Western and Boss. The only thing you get out of the kit really is the nice plastic box otherwise you could buy the same stuff cheaper and keep in your truck. I got the kit because I like to be as organized as I can and I see the Boss/Western Sticker sticker and know that is where those parts are. Replacing whatever you use and putting it back in the kit is essential. I also carry a spare hose in case of breakage.

In the cab I have a Craftsman hand-box with the wrench's and screwdrivers to replace whatever I have in th kit. Solenoid and hose and a light bulb if it goes out are the main things. I do have the stuff to change a broken spring as well but have never had to do so on the job. I also carry a 1st aid kit. Just in case but is one of those marine type kits that are small enough to fit in a small spot but has a pretty good assortment of stuff in it.

Gray duct tape and black electrical tape is also handy and I carry a set of overhauls in my toolbox in the bed in case I have to change the tire. Speaking of which I always put my spare in the bed of the truck during winter so if I do have a flat I wont have to hammer packed snow and ice from under the truck where the spare is kept and hope the crank cable is not frozen up. I cable lock it to the salter but it sure makes it easy to get in and out if I do have that dreaded flat while plowing.

I am one who tries to be prepared for things and some say i carry to much. I also carry a camera and 2 flashlight's along with a couple of bigger old bath towels and a blanket.

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I was just thinking about this this morning. So far my list....

Duck Tape
    Electrical Tape
    Wrenches for the hoses
    Screw drivers
    Blanket
    extra gloves
    road flares
    tow strap
    chain
    flash light
    paper towels
    camera
    bottled water

4. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

you Guys Forgot The Most Important Thing, Toilet Paper... You Never Know...

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I actually have a roll in the truck already for year round.

You're right. You never know.

6. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

blue shop paper towels = paper towels, toilet paper, and kleenex's. Kind of an All in One.

7. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

8. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

emergency supplies

Add to your list:

at least one extra hose for the hydro turn cylinders on the plow, as well as an extra length of chain and a bolt and nut to pick up the plow if the weld breaks.

Hydro oil for the lift.

A come along and logging chain to pull yourself out of mistakes at 3 am when not even AAA will come out to get you wen you get stuck.

Personal protective devices as appropriate for your route.

9. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

Like prophylactic's for personel protection.
    When your working, Your not suppose to be playing like that.:nono:
    LMAO

10. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

I wouldn't leave the house without a floorjack which I dont. A bottle jack would suffice but a floorjack is better I think.

If your plow wont raise. What would you do without a floorjack to jack and rechain it?

11. computeruser

computeruser Junior Member

You could use your hi-lift.:waving:

12. LLM Ann Arbor

Whats that?

13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Your kidding? right?

here is a pic to jog your brain......

I don't leave home with out one..

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  14. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

A two monkeys and big hammer for those Boss late night repairs

15. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Drive it home with it down..........

16. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

This is commonly overlooked. Some of the areas I plow in are not the greatest neighborhoods and are full of drug addicts and whatnot. You need to be prepared for the worst.:gunsfiring:

17. LLM Ann Arbor

Thats a lot unrealistic and foolish in lieu of carrying a floor or bottle jack dont you think? Unless your route is two blocks from your house.

Mines 15 miles from home.

18. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Run the plow into a snow pile so that it raises the blade enough to chain it higher.:rolleyes:

19. LLM Ann Arbor

Hey, good advice. I really didnt consider it. But I have a small floorjack under the back seat nicely stowed and it can be used for other things as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2006
  20. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

i know this sounds foolish but get some latex gloves like the doctors use to examine the old butthole. they work great for keeping heat in when you have to get out for some reason just put them on then your regular gloves hands will be nice and toasty when you get back in. just dont try and use them alone your hands will get cold if they rip.