1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what should i have charged?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by birddseedd, Feb 16, 2013.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

i put down 300 lbs of salt over a 1" thick ice pad on a drive. charged 65 bucks. cost me probably 40 in salt.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Why did you charge so little?

3. birddseedd

At first i thought it was alot untill i realized how much salt it would actualy take. (i want my ballast back)

i guess what it comes down to is im just worried people wont want to pay if its a bigger price. seems to be how it is in Michigan.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

So you did the work first then told them how much.

5. birddseedd

no. mentioned it as he left.

6. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Is it one of your regular customers ?

7. birddseedd

yea. and one im trying to impress. really want to keep him this summer again. he was dissapointed at a landscape job that took long. heat wave, break downs n such.

8. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Should of spread it thinner. A little goes a long way.

9. MikeA5150

MikeA5150 Member

Around here if you salt for a regular plow customer its $225./ ton. Most plow contractors around here all charge the same and that can only be done if you're buying bulk.

10. birddseedd

what is the price for bulk salt for you?

11. MikeA5150

MikeA5150 Member

I think this year its $40/ton.

12. birddseedd

WOW. im getting hosed on these bags

13. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

If you spent $40, then charge $120...,. Ok $100 on a deal...
    If you have to ask, then maybe you shouldn't be do it... :laughing:

14. MikeA5150

MikeA5150 Member

We all are. If you had somewhere to store it you can save alot of money.You can get about 800lbs. in one of those wheeled trash cans from the local trash co. and fill a bunch of 5 gal buckets which are about 50lbs each...... I was wrong on price its between $65 and $70 but thats still a big savings.

15. birddseedd

Sounds like it would have been worth it if it was bulk

16. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

ussmileyflagi charge no less than 20 cents per pound, no more than 40 cents. depends if its bag rock salt . so 60.00 to 120.00 but thats southern ohio i can get 20 per bag for rock salt .. you cant pay the bill at the prices your chargeing, balk is not a option for me this year but thats where the money is . if your useing caleum cloride around 50 cents per pound up to 60 cents . but 300 lb on a driveway,:drinkup: it must be a long one

17. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

The way to impress the client is with quality work, at a price that's competitive but shows that you know your own costs. Now you come on here and ask if the price was correct, but honestly it doesn't matter because if he calls you again you can't charge 120 and tell him the guys on the internet said it was a better number. It's very important to know your costs up front because its so hard to raise prices these days. You might get a ton of work from this guy but it sounds like you'll go broke doing it. You've kind of lowered the bar for yourself with this client. I got screwed that way once, gave a low price on mowing with the promise of a bunch of landscaping work, they never did the landscape work and I still had to honor that price.

18. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

You can't look at bulk as $40. Very few people have the ability to pay that. It's not like you can order up a load to your place at that price. Depending on port prices at time of sale expect bulk to run you 85-100 delivered by the truckload or about 115-140 by the individual yard. Your bags shouldn't be costing you more than $5 a bag by the pallet load. Now if you have the ability to go to the ports and want to wait in line you can get lower prices, but not sure you can pull in and ask for a yard in the back of your pickup. Of course prices vary by location.

19. birddseedd

I do get a fair price for mowing. mainly i want to keep him for mowing. so a good deal on a one time service isnt horible. tho i think i should maybe get some bulk salt for this stuff

20. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

:mechanic :j t v landscaping just told you how it is and will be with you new impressed client and all his friends ,,,,, you need to learn how to not screw yourself out of money and make a profit if you expect to make it in this cut throat world :drinkup: . how young are you .think about it before you give bids

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013