1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What should i get?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by southofheaven73, Mar 9, 2006.

1. southofheaven73

southofheaven73 Junior Member

Hey, I've been plowing with my uncles truck for this winter...well what we had at least down here in CT .My uncle has a 02 f-350 w/ xblade and spead caster , but i was thinking about buying my own truck. I dont know if i should go used, or just work my ass off and get something newer? Can some one help me out?? thanks

2. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

In the end the decesion is up to you and what you can afford. I wouldn't get the newer truck if you can't afford it. I have 2 newer trucks and would go new again, BUT it means you have big payments. I wanted new trucks for the look and for the warranty. I also find older trucks have more problems during the storm its self, water pump or something like that. You also have to worry about the person that used the truck before you. If they shift before they stop or slam into piles and beat on it. You could end up with more bills than new. If your tight on cash don't stretch yourself, get used and then upgrade when the business and money is there.

3. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

Great advice! The only thing I would add, is that if buying used, I think you are better off buying a truck that doesnt have a plow on it, and has never been plowed, and adding your own plow. That way, you ensure that it wasnt abused plowing by someone who does not respect/take care of their equipment. Plus, you are more likely not going to have premature failure of suspension components due to plowing.
    Good luck!
    Bill

4. southofheaven73

southofheaven73 Junior Member

thanks

thanks for the advice guys!

5. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

geezzz, man id say make youre uncle an offer....sounds like a pritty nice truck, and youve runned it so you know wat it ccan do ,a nd you know wat it has gone through, buy it form him~!

6. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

SOH One question for you--Will this be your daily driver? If it is you may want to go newer--Unless you do what Grunt suggested and put a blade on an older truck that never plowed before--You start running into problems the older the truck gets, but if your handy you can make a truck last a long time one of my last trucks had 15 seasons on it and sold it for a driveway rig and it is still pushing snow!

7. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

go with a newer truck, try to keep the set up the same since u are use to plowing with that...i jump from 3 different trucks in a storm and they are all set up different b.c theres no way they can be set up the same....it sucks...that truck is normal to u...get something simmalar

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes sir, let someone else worry about the repair bills, while you take the write-offs, and run more dependable equipment. Transmissions in particular are tenuous items, and expensive both in shop costs and lost income. Better a unit with a known history and a warranty. Plus there's the up-side of quality stereo, better creature comforts, and a successful appearance. You will also build greater equity, faster.
    Don't get caught in "the devil you know" trap. Look at all the manufacturer's, of both plows and trucks. Chose the one that you prefer, look at turning radius, visibility, and equipment packages. Compare warranty and dealer issues, a Great dealer is worth $ and torque.
    Cruise the back threads, there are a lot of good threads on this same subject, all of them containing great info.