1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What should I expect from my truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by michigan Joe, Jan 18, 2005.

1. michigan Joe

michigan Joe Junior Member

This is my first year plowing and I bought a 2004 f250 superduty 5.4l. I dont have alot of jobs this year, hopefully that will change next year. My question is, assuming I dont crash into anyting or break something myself, how long should my truck hold up before I should expect some problems and what kind of extra maintainance should I be attending to to insure it stays in good condition? If you havent noticed from my questions I am not an auto buff so any basic information will probably be very helpfull to me. Thanks alot.
  2. sgthawkusmc

sgthawkusmc Member

Keep your oil changed and don't beat on your rig and it will last for a long time. I have 28k on my 04 and have not had a single problem. You can plow and not beat on your truck if you pay attention.
  3. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

In addition to regular oil changes, check your tranny fluid often. If it seems to be getting darker and/or smells burnt, have the fluid and filter changed.
    Battery connections are also important. Wire brush any corrosion off and keep some dielectric lube on there. As soon as your wipers fail to clear well, replace them, good visibility is very important. I also recommend the Rain X products for water repelling and anti fogging of your glass.

At the end of the season, have your front end aligned as well as a check of all front end components, drag link, ball joints, shocks, springs, etc. Replace anything worn before next season.

These are just a few basic things, there's always more of course depending on if you also tow, your mileage and so on.
  4. Gene L.

Gene L. Junior Member
    from CT

you will also go through brakes more often due to more weight and constant stopping. try to wash your truck after every storm and get under it as much as possible.
  5. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I have the same truck but an '03 with 35k miles. I to a pretrip before every storm, checking all fluids, belts, lights, etc...After every storm I do the same as well as wash the whole unit down, and I lube every pivot point on my plow, and grease the front end of the truck.My plow is now 3 seasons and still looks like and runs like new..Stay on top of maintenance.I have replaced my front shocks, front rotors and pads.New end link bushings this weekend.
    Just keep an eye on oil, tranny, transfer,diff. fluids..change if needed.cheaper than new gears.
  6. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

I have a 1999 F 250 5.4 , 106,000miles it has been a plow truck since it was a year old . I replaced the front shocks and ball joint's last season, other than that just the stuff the other Guys talked about . Make sure you come to a stop before shifting gears , I'm still on the original tranny (knock on wood )so plowing does not have to ruin your truck unless you let it .
  7. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

As soon as it's broken in good, go synthetic on ALL your fluids. When you flush your coolant for the first time, put in some of this new long haul antifreeze everyone is making. Stuff is more like oil than water. Mix it with distilled water with the calcium and sodium taken out. (Wal-Mart, .58 cents a gallon)
    My wife has had good luck with Z-Bart on an 11 year old Grand Cherokee. Not a speck of rust on it.

Spray the bed, too, if youv'e got the cash.

Do all the stuff the guys have told you on this thread and you'll get sick of looking at that thing.