1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what should i do?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ScnicExcellence, Sep 1, 2008.

1. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

i am looking at buying another vehicle for me to start plowing.

Now what i am stuck to decide between is what i should get.

I would like a truck that is not too big as i live in an apartment building and parking is small.

now i have been debating on getting a f150 a f250 or a silverado now the vehicle i would like to look nice but i am now realizing i might as well just buy a truck that can take a beating and shouldn't matter too much about looks, ( not going to buy a rust bucket though)

Now what i would like to know is with my budget of about 2500 do you guys think i can get something decent for a truck that will do a half decent job?

Should i get an older f250 like 97 or older or should i get a 97 or newer f250 what kind of difference would i really see between the two other then the ugly looks?

i can get a boss v blade that is a few years old for about 3200 or should i just go with the striaght blades for about 1500 to 2000 dollars?

I would like to be able to use what ever i get for at least a few years until i can afford to get another truck and new plow!
  2. ScnicExcellence

also what kind of salter would you suggest that can handle either salt or sand?
    something that would be a good price on a used unit?

What should i look for in the salter\sand spreader?
  3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

here is a million dollar question
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Do you mean 2,500 or 25,000?
  5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

as always, craigslist. you can find plenty of used plow trucks on their that are in your price range.
  6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

as far as parking. how small is small?

full sized trucks dont fit in some parking spaces with the plow on.

for a couple grand beggars cant be choosers on type. look around and find the best deal you can get on whatever make.
    consider what type of things you want to plow. commercial or resi for one.

consider if it will fit in the parking spot and where you will leave the blade in the off season and if your landlord will mind. if it is your daily driver too you might want a smaller truck.
  7. ScnicExcellence

well i got a four door honda civic for a daily driver so not worried about the daily driver issue.

I don't want to go with 3500 or bigger because of having to register and certify every year gets costly! cause it is then in the weight for commercial category, also meaning i have to pull into the scales on thew highway.

The landlord won't mind because i will be more then likely doing the plowing here too!

yes it is $2500 to $3500 depends on what i can get for the money if i can get a better truck for a few hundred more then i will wait the extra week and get the extra money

this price is for the truck only, the plow is on top of that and the spreader is on top of that.
  8. ScnicExcellence

I have been told to stay away from dodge!

Should i avoid dodge due to their transmission problems?

also i will be doing residential and some commercial like a gas station and possibly a couple other small lots!
  9. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

f250 if you can find one that hasnt been beat to crap.
  10. cretebaby

ya i would stay away from the dodges
  11. ScnicExcellence

yeah f250 it is then if i can find one in decent shape for the money!

Hopefully i can get a 1997 or newer model they look a bit nicer.
  12. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

if you can find an f-250 with a 7.3L for a good price you will be golden b/c those things are built like tanks.

also look at older chevys/gmcs (90s models) you can pick them up pretty cheap. find a 2500 with a 5.7L or 6.5L even the 7.4L with a 4L80E and you wont have to worry about a weak tranny.

just watch out with the older chevys b/c the cab corners and rocker pannels tend to rot out so check that.

but word of advise diesel is the way to go. i would start looking for one then move to gas engines. JMO
  13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I would spend more money on the truck then on the plow. JMO
  14. ScnicExcellence

the truck won't last as long as the truck i know this i plan on buying a newer truck in a year or two.

There is the possibility that i could have a bigger budget depending on how a couple quotes that i handed out go, if i get thoose landscaping jobs then i will have a budge of 10000 for the truck.
  15. ScnicExcellence

truck won't last as long as the plow**
  16. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

Id stay away from gas stations its like the middle of the snow storm humming bird feeder and theres a billion things stink out of the ground. O and i dout your insurance policy will work well for those place either
  17. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

i live in an apt i get cited for parking multiple plow trucks in the lot we got a couple dodge trucks we push with and they plow real nice no tranny problems here but by far the fords are tanks
  18. cretebaby

i plow 4 gas stations and dont mind them a bit

go at them with a little patients and charge accordingly, nobody else wants them and bidding will reflect this
  19. ScnicExcellence

well i have a guy that has been plowing around here for 20 years i am working things out with him i give him some work that i don't think i can handle this year in return he pays me a perecentage of the profits!

But on a more serious note i bought a new truck already here it is.

Check it out i think doing driveways with this will be a breeze when there are about 6 beside each other with nothing but pavement.

I have also been offered a job as a subcontractor for 60 bux an hour i pay my comercial insurance he covers the liability! I think this is not too bad as last year his crews went out 34 times. So i would imagine for my first year i should be good doing this or just sticking to my own driveways. What you think i should do. i think i should be able to get about 30-40 driveways at average of 30 a driveway.
  20. M&M

M&M Senior Member

If you get 30 driveways at $30 per driveway, you will gross $900 per event assuming you push each driveway once. Conservatively, that will take you 8 hours at most. Subcontracting yourself out at $60 per hour, you will have to work 15 hours each event to make that same $900. Double the work for the same pay is not fun. Lastly, the commercial truck insurance is the one really counts and costs the most.