1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What should I do??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Stinky, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Stinky

Stinky Junior Member

I am here in east tennessee and every time they yell for snow i have 15 to 20 calls for removal. after four years of this i am considering buying a plow. What would be a good plow and what is the cost? cant even get a price here on a plow. I have a dodge 2500 w/ 360 engine and plowing will consist of commercial lots and drives. any help would be appreciated.
  2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

$1700.00 to $2000.00 for a Western 8' Pro plow. My personal favorite. U pick up from Northern Indiana.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Stinky - Welcome to PlowSite. For that truck you're probably going to use an 8' plow. Look into a V-plow. The brand will mainly depend on what is sold in your area. A few common brands in no particular order (except Fisher, since I'm partial): Fisher, Meyer, Boss, Hiniker, Curtis. You could do a "search" on each brand and get insights from people who own them. You might also look on each brand's website. New - you're going to spend about $3500 - $4000 for an 8'. Be sure you have a "Snow Plow" rider on your vehicle insurance. I also suggest General Commercial Liability insurance, especially if you're going to do lots. As was brought up recently, be sure to distinquish between snow "plowing" and "removal". For snow removal, you'll need completely different equipment.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2002
  4. Stinky

Stinky Junior Member

Mick, there are no plows sold here that i can find. thanks for the info. i need to look into the rider for insurance. already have the liability insurance. all people here need is the snow pushed to the side of the lot or drive and salt or sand. if it snows 2" here people go nuts and stay home. it usually warms up and melts in a few days. I figured i would cash in with some off-season work and get some of these people that tear up pavement with bobcats off the road
  5. sledhead

sledhead Member

Just my .02.
    If you only get 2in. snowfalls max., Your not going to need a "V" plow. Invest in a strait 8ft.
  6. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

You say that a 2" snowfall here, where's here? Your location is not filled in.

7. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

said in his post east tenneesee

i bought a good used western 7.5 off ebay. had to drive a little to pick it up but well worth the trip. there are several listed on ebay from the east cost.

may be worth checkin out
    Mark K
  8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Id look for a a used 7.5-9 ft straight blade,since you dont get much snow.If you dont care,spend 3K and get a new one.