1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what should I Do ?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by xtremesuperduty, Dec 1, 2003.

1. xtremesuperduty

xtremesuperduty Junior Member

Hey , I am thinking about getting in to snow plowing, I have a lawn service and many of my customers are intrested in snow removal. But i was wondering if it would be wourth it to put a plow on my 03 f250 PSD i been getting prices for around $3500 or so , I also have two 24" snowblowers and a kubota 4x4 tractor with a loader and rear plow. Would it be worht it to spend the $3500 or should i use what i have? many of my customers drive ways go straight to the garage door how efficent is a plow in that situation? PS anyone ever plow with an atv?

2. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Lots of questions and you are burnin daylight. (runnin out of time) If you have customers, it is always worthwhile to put a plow on your truck specially if it is not an extend cab. (too long for a rookie)$3500 is bout market price. You may do a bit better but look at the dealer carefully. You are gonna need service/parts someday with any rig. find one with a good reputation selling name brand eqpt. Your blowers and tractor are great additions, but it might be too late to get adequate work. We don't use ATV's but I know lots of guys that do. Just remember it is a tool when you are working it, not a toy. Good Luck.:nod:

3. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I have used an atv for several years and it works great for residentual drives(straight, curved, & garage doors). Most drives 12' to 20' wide just take a couple of passes to clear up to 6". The answer to your qustions about current equipment lies in the setup of your customer base. (how close together are they=loading and unloading of equipment, how many customers=can you get them plowed in reasonable amount of time with current equipment) In my area contractors use a variety of equipment (4X4 Loader tractors, ATVS, Skidloaders, & Trucks). I guess it is up to the individual as to what piece of equipment works the best. In my opion, I think I would try it with what I have, see how it goes, re-equip if needed & increase in custmer base next year. Just for thought, an atv plow & salter setup cost about $600.00 to $850.00 :D
    Hope all this helps,
    Jared

4. xtremesuperduty

xtremesuperduty Junior Member

thanks for the info guys.
    But my truck is a super cab but i also have the short bed. I am realy thinking of getting an atv with a plow to put in the back of my truck because its about the same price as a plow setup and i can get year round use out of it since i do only residential at this time it seem like a good way to go. That way i wont have to haul a 20 foot trailer with my equipment (tractor, Blowers) on it when the roads are bad.

5. rusty gmc

rusty gmc Junior Member
    from maine

ok,here's what your not gonna want to hear,forget about the atv,park the nice new ford, and go get a disposable plowtruck. a '82 to 91 chevy will be the cheapest way in and probably the most cost-effective plow rig you will ever have.once you get a pile of contracts to service then maybe you should step up to a newer chevy,like maybe a 1995! trust me on this! why kill a brand new truck on a few $25.00 driveways?..no ,i am not a big GM man or a ford fanatic,but,dollar for dollar old GM stuff is the way to go. if you think about it all that old plow stuff got us here today!..$3500.00 will buy 2 good gmc plow trucks here in maine...good luck!!..ps ,those trucks may or may not take inspection stickers!payup