1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what should i do????

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by uawphil, Nov 14, 2010.

1. uawphil

uawphil Junior Member
    from MI

i got a plow from a buddy that owed me some $$$ so i figured i will try and make some $$$ with it! i have a 05 3500 SRW crew cab 8 foot bed. 6.6 duramax, my question is i would like to have some magnetic signs made for my truck so i can do a few driveways and make a little $$$$ on the side, on the signs all i was going to put is (snowplowing, and my cell #) do u guys think i will get messed with by the law? because of the magnetic signs? or do i need a dot # and business name? or u guys think i should just have magnetic signs made up and dont worry and do i need a light on my truck? or can i get away with out one??

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  2. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

i dont know the laws by you but i would get a name for bussiness cause people may think your a fly by nighter and never call unless there desperate and depending if driveways are on main road or not i would get a light bar for some safety
    but pretty much like by me if your looking work and driving by most of neighborhoods pepole flag you down with out a name on your truck cause they think you will need the work and do it for cheap so the mags are up to you but yea you could make money with a blade on your truck make some flyers and post them up.

3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Make sure the union gets their cut......

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

just go plow....you probabily didnt think about insurance anyway

5. Bartlett_2

Bartlett_2 Senior Member

:p:p:p:p made my day!!

6. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I was waiting for someone to say it...ussmileyflag

7. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

or workman's comp, or commercial plates to avoid getting your truck towed and a hefty ticket for not being commercially licensed, or an actual business filing with the state for a business name, or vendors license to collect sales tax, or a federal EIN to pay taxes, or the fair market rate for doing this type of work.

Yea, you should just go plow because nobody needs these things anyway, just sayn.

8. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

welllllll, im just doing a couple of drives............lol

9. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

1: Workman's comp, at least in MN, can be waived by the owner of the company. I am not required to have a comp policy unless I have employees. No employees=no workman's comp (unless I opt to pull it for myself).

2: In MN, depending on what you're calling your business, you may not need to file for a business name. For instance, if you call it David Anderson Snow Plowing, you do not need a business name as you're using your full name in the title.

3: Snow plowing in MN is not subject to sales tax.

4: An EIN is not necessary for a sole proprietor.

My point is that before you start laying into the guy, realize that much of what you point out may or may not be accurate depending on the state the guy is living in. A better approach might be to suggest he look into these things, as they may be relevant to him pursuing work in the snow removal industry.

All that said, I wouldn't hang a plow on my truck, much less plow anything, without a commercial auto policy.

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

hey Eric...he is from MI...not MN.....and if he was serious he would READ all the other posts asking ALL the same questions he asked.......being too lazy to read is NOT a good quality to have as a snow removal company

11. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Yeah, I knew that. My point was that things vary state to state. The guy I quoted was in Ohio, which likely has different laws than Michigan, where the OP claims he's from.

I agree, most questions from every new thread were likely answered many times over should one take the time to search and read.

12. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

I was being a bit sarcastic, he clearly did not do any research and just posted his question. On this site research would have been simple. 1. click "new to the industry" 2. click "newbies start here". 3. Read. Hence, stupid questions get stupid answers.

His post hit a nerve with a few of us who have been adversely effected by guys like him entering our industry. Hence the way some of us "laid into him".

Your right, all states have different laws. In Ohio, where I do business,
    1. Owners with NO employees, are not required to carry Workers Comp, BUT many customers demand proof of work comp not caring if you have employees or not, only that you have WC to cover them if you or someone who works for you in any capacity gets injured.

2. To be a legit company and to protect yourself from liability, you need to file articals of organization for a company (llc, ltd, inc, whatever) Otherwise there is no protection for you and are far more open personaly to a civil suit. I think thats pretty universal across all 50 states. He should check with his states AG's office or Secretary's office. If your state allows you to call your business my name snowplowing, without filing articals, YOU HAVE NO PROTECTION FROM ANY CIVIL LIABILITY WHEN PLOWING, WORKING FOR YOURSELF WITH YOUR TRUCK TO MAKE A FEW EXTRA $$$. One little accident, slip and fall, whatever, could cost you your house and life savings. Hence the "actual company/bussiness" referance.

3. Your lucky, you are one of few states that does not have sales tax. In Ohio any goods or SERVICE'S sold and/or provided are subject to sales tax requiring a Vendors License. Again, he should check his state law.

4. True, a EIN is not necessary for a sole proprietor, BUT, do anyone really want to give their social security number to anyone if you can avoid it? Putting it on how many forms, going to how many places? Kept by who knows who? Right next to your name and address, which is all anyone needs to steel your identity and wreck your financial life.

13. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Do like i do. I only plow for close friends and family. I wont step on anyone else's toes. Companys out there need to make a living. I truely do enjoy plowing and only do so as a convience to my family and a few close friends. They all either have tractors or atvs with plows already. I just help out. They slip me a couple bucks here and there for gas money and im happy. But i will not go out and lowball some driveway to save some cheap a$$ from paying the going rate. If they have someone hired already, i leave it at that. Seems like everyone and their brother has a plow around here and the rates ive heard for plowing is rediculous. I dont know how some guys make money doing it for a living around this area. Go out have fun and stay private.