1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What should I do?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by exmark, Oct 19, 2010.

1. exmark

exmark Senior Member

I am thinking about purchasing a light bar for my truck for the upcoming snow season. I just have one question and that is what's the easiest way to run the cord into the cab since my truck is a single cab I can only run the cord threw either driver or passenger window right, or is there another way so the cord won't be in the way all the time when getting in and out of the truck. Thanks

2. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I just run mine through the door jam towards the back then run it behind the seat and up to the plug. Once it gets formed to the door and the weather gets cold they stay there very well.

3. exmark

exmark Senior Member

Thats what I was thinking about doing, but I didn't know how the cord would handle that.

4. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

We run all of ours under the CHMSL (3rd brake light) and use a 2 prong quick connect so we can swap out a bad light bar for a hot spare quickly. You can do this with the lighter plug, but we've also gone to hard wiring through a switch on everything to get rid of that loose cord running through the interior.

5. exmark

exmark Senior Member

Could you tell me how to run the plug threw the 3rd brake light. Thanks

6. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Are you going with a mini light bar or full size? if you are going full size, the cord is a lot bigger ans I don't recomend trying to go through the door jamb or 3rd brake light.....

7. Too Stroked

We run an all Ford Super Duty fleet, so my advice is specific to that kind of truck. The work I've done on other brands seems to say that the process is pretty much similar though.

What we do is re-wire our Star (strobe) mini bars using a 2 prong quick connect plug available at most auto parts stores. It looks exactly like a 2 prong version of the standard "flat four" trailer connector. Remember, though, you have a hot and a ground wire there. You want the hot lead on the "truck side" to be the "shielded" connector.

We remove the CHMSL by taking out the two sheet metal screws that hold it in. Now you have access to run the truck half of your harness in through the opening, under the head liner and over to the driver side A pillar. (I ground right inside the opening using a short sheet metal screw.) You run the hot lead down, then fuse and switch it properly. The other thing I do is shield the wire that will run out under the CHMSL with shrink wrap tubing.

To put everything back together, I carefully run an appropriate length of the "truck side" harness out under the CHMSL, then replace the light, then carefully tighten the two sheet metal screws. The reason you come out under the light is to avoid water leaks. For us, for the past 15 years, this has worked so much better than running the lighter plug in through the sliding window and under the seat. Hope that helps!

8. Too Stroked

It took me a bit to find it, but here's a bit more involved installation for a bigger bar. It's still an "under the CHMSL wiring" deal, but hopefully you'll get the general idea.

I should note that several members here didn't like this installation when I posted it up last year, but it works like a charm for the owner.

[​IMG]

9. exmark

exmark Senior Member

Thanks for the help. I think im going to give that a shot. The light bar is going to be a whelen mini light bar.

10. Too Stroked

It'll work just fine with one of them.

11. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Not to be a d!ck but, the draw that that full sized light bar takes and how you hooked it up through such small guage wire, I hope you have fire insurance on you truck. Just saying. :nono:

12. Too Stroked

That's what the unititated said and on first blush, I would think the same thing. If I was only using one wire to feed the rotators, you'd be correct. If you saw the wiring diagram, you'd see that I've doubled up wiring for the hot and ground wires for the rotators. Result? Proper wire size for the current running through them. Sound better?

13. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Another option is the cab vents at the back of the cab or run under the cab and up under your seats. You can either drill or sometimes (at least in the 2 Ram's I've done this on) there are rubber plugs in the floor you can drill through or remove.

14. exmark

exmark Senior Member

I actually just pulled off my 3rd brake light to see what I could see threw the liner. One of my friends actually stuck his finger threw the back of the head liner there, I think what I am going to do is run the cord and plug threw the head liner and down the back window then under the seat and up to the cigarette plug. Thanks for the help though.

15. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Nice! Take some pics!!!

16. exmark

exmark Senior Member

Ill throw some up here in a few weeks. I still have to order the bar its going to be a mini whelen responder.

17. massfirefighter

massfirefighter Senior Member
    from mass.

Be careful with that. You're not supposed to parallel any wire smaller than 1/0.

18. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

If the wires and or connectors are not warming up then there is no reason to worry about them. All you are doing here is doubling the actual strand count inside of the wires. Electricity takes the path of least resistance, and only travels over the outer surface of the copper anyhow. The actual weak spot in any electrical circuit are connection points from start to finish and anywhere in between.

19. PeteB4

PeteB4 Member
    from Maine

I just picked up a couple of beacons with the cig plugs. Do you think I could fit both cig plugs (one and then the other) through the opening?
    Not sure what you run for a truck, I have a 2000 F350. Don't know how much of a difference that would make on the opening.

20. Too Stroked

100% correct and thank you. No heat issues with this install.