1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What should I do

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by B&E snowplowing, Jun 22, 2010.

1. B&E snowplowing

B&E snowplowing Senior Member

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1989 Chev 3500 4X4 with dump box. It has the 6.2 diesel engine with 228000 km. I can buy the truck for 3100.00 Canadian and the truck come with a 10 foot Meyers poly blade. The truck has passed the E-test and the current owner said it was last certified back in February.

There appears to be no rust, all the body mounts are good, frame is in good shape, New brakes, tires, front end, Trans is a TH400 and was rebuilt two years ago, the rear end was done last year.

There are some minor issues with some lights not working, and the truck is very dirty.

I know NOTHING about these engines, so I don't know what to look for. Is 228000 km alot of mileage on these engines.

I have to act fast on this one as there is someone else intrested...What should I do??

I tried to post pics, but for some reason I can't get them to work .

Thanks
    Brian

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Great trucks in their time. Easy to work on as far as space. Old GM reliability. But I would stay away for many reasons.

These years have a tendency to have fuel sending unit problems, drivers side rear light problems, brake lines rear to front.

The fuel that thing will suck and future repairs may have you cussing yourself over the cost to keep it going. Brakes on those ain't cheap either as i believe they have the dual piston calipers up front and huge drums in rear.

Maybe if it was only 10 years old I would chance it but a 1989 now is asking for wallet bursting repairs down the road.

Just my .02 and others may disagree but sometimes a good deal comes back to bite you.

Previous owner of 1987 2500 GMC w/454, 1988 GMC 2500 w/350, 1988 Chevy 2500 L6, 1989 GMC 2500HD 350
    Current owner of 1999 GMC Yukon 4x4 , 2004 Chevy 2500HD 6.o

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  3. B&E snowplowing

What should I do !!

Just to make matters more difficult, the seller just called to tell me that he will certify the truck and the price will go up only 300.00 so now the selling price is 3400.00 certified and e-tested.

Decisions Decisions Decisions. What should I do.

4. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

no rust!!! a snow plow!!!, i think you would be a fool to not take it, those diesels can be touchy, but if it is well taken care any vehicle well last a good long time.

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

pushing 143,00 miles I would be real cautious still. My 89 lasted over 270,00 miles when I sold it and it is still going in Michigan. But it has had a lot of work as well.

If anything I suppose you could recoup some cash selling the plow after you had it if need be.

Illinois use to have pick=up truck safety test every 6 moths I believe it was or yearly. Now it is only for commercial vehicles/trucks.

What is a certification in Canada?

Has he shown you the test sheet from when it passed emissions?

No rust?

Most of mine showed no rust from looking at it either. But if you laid on a creeper you had to wear safety glasses and not touch anything underneath it because it would poke holes or make stuff fall from so much of it. Look real close at the brake lines along the frame on drivers side going to the back especially where the bend is at firewall under drivers side feet.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  6. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

the snow plow is worth the $2000-3000, and there are lots of those 86-98 trucks, so even if you use it til it blows up, (get a couple of years out of it) and if you want move the unit to a different truck

7. B&E snowplowing

What to do !!

I did crawl under the truck to check it out, someone has installed new rocker panels, cab corners, and bottem of the doors, along with two holes that I could see in the floor. All has been replace with metal and not bondo.

It looked like the truck was oiled, because I was suprised at how little flaking rust was on the vehicle. I actually thought that maybe there was and oil leak, but when I checked I couldn't see any oil leaks, not from the engine, tranny or transfer case,

Here in Canada, a certification is the same as a safety, and on a commercial truck over 1 ton we have to have it done yearly.

Yes I will get a copy of the emmissions test report as I will need that to transfer title.

Looks as though I'm leaning towards buying it, but still looking for comments and suggestions. I have to let the current owner know today, and I have never had a vehicle this big, nor have I ever had a truck with a Deisel engine.

Thanks