1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What should I do to prep my chevy for a plow?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by KSlandscaper, Jan 5, 2006.

1. KSlandscaper

KSlandscaper Member
    from Kansas

Earlier I started a thread in the section if my v-6 K-1500 could handle a plow. Well, since then I have purchased another truck. I couldn't pass it up. This one is a 1994 Chevy K-2500 for only $3,500. The down side is it has 141k miles on it, but it runs and drives like a champ.

Anyhow, since this truck does not have the plow prep package, what should I do to prep this truck for a plow? I'm figuring I should add a set of timbrens for the front, but what else?

[​IMG]

2. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Crank the torsion bars 5 or so turns. Then get an alignment if need be. Also I personally would reccommend, and im sure other people will as well:
    Change the tranny fluid, filter and gasket.
    Change the Diff and T-case fluid.
    Check the belts.
    Change the fuel filter, it may have never been changed before.
    Check the tires.

Then check over the entire truck, brakes, suspension, ball joints, and everything else.

Im sure there are more things you can do, but it may not be worth it because it is a 94 and has 144k miles on it, plus it was only $3500, and one tranny will cost that alone.

It all depends on how long you plan to keep this, and how hard you plan to push it, because it may have already been pushed pretty hard by the previous owner(s).